What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need my App to run all the time

Temp46

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to have an app developed that, once turned on, runs ALL the time. Even if the iPad is rebooted, restarted, etc. it would be continue to run after reboot etc.

Is it possible to have this type of persistant app? If not, maybe if the app had to be restarted it could force the user to log in and restart the app when the iPad was rebooted?

I really just need to know if this is possible, if it is, then I have an app that I need developed...if not my idea is useless.

Allan Tone
Liqueo Inc

Last edited by a moderator:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
liqueoinc said:
I want to have an app developed that, once turned on, runs ALL the time. Even if the iPad is rebooted, restarted, etc. it would be continue to run after reboot etc.

Is it possible to have this type of persistant app? If not, maybe if the app had to be restarted it could force the user to log in and restart the app when the iPad was rebooted?

I really just need to know if this is possible, if it is, then I have an app that I need developed...if not my idea is useless.

Allan Tone
Liqueo Inc

I can't think of anyone who would want an app that could take over the iPad and force the user to log in.
There's no way Apple would ever allow an app that acted like what you describe into the app store. iOS just doesn't allow apps to work that way. The only possibility might be on a jail broken iPad.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In addition, multitasking is only allowed for certain types of activities...your app running could be in conflict with these permitted activities. And in low memory situations, apps that are in the background need to be taken out of memory.

If you need the user to open the app, you can use the notification system. I have an called called Data Usage that pops up a notificaiton to remind me to run it so it can reset the counters to ensure that my cellular usage is tracked & reset at the appropriate day of the cycle. You could do something similar to that if you need the user to open it for a reason. Otherwise, you are barking up the wrong tree if you want to take over the iPad. The entire notion of that is a bit repugnant, but I'm sure you have a good reason for wanting to do that. Right? :)

Bluray

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seriously, why would you want to get such an app developed, although its not possible without JB?

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seriously, why would you want to get such an app developed, although its not possible without JB?
There are plenty of reason to want this.
A POS terminal app that I want to run so that no one can get to the iOS "desktop" and mess around. This could help me with PCI compliance (although there are other ways) and a $600 iPad is a lot cheaper than a $2500 IBM SurePOS.
A PMS (Property Management System) app to allow people to check-in at a hotel. Maybe it sits at a kiosk in the lobby and the guest can check-in from it but it runs 24 hours a day. Lots cheaper than a standalone kiosk solution.
A HAACP app that is used in food safety, I don't want the device to be used for anything else, I don't want people to be able to get to anything other than my HAACP app.
A medical records app for use while making rounds in a hospital.
Just off the top of my head.......

Most reactions

Latest posts