What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need advice: Blackberry + ipad 2 3G or just iphone4?

what would you go with?

• keep blackberry, use ipad 2 for 3G web

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • sell blackberry, get iphone 4 and use for all, refund ipad 2

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • sell blackberry, get iphone 4 and use both iphone and ipad 2 for 3G

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to figure out how I should handle my data when im out. Right now i have a 3G blackberry but it sucks ass and Ive had it with web browsing on blackberries, i want no part to do with it anymore so im gonna get either an iphone 4 and use that or use my ipad 2.

Right now I have a 3G ipad 2. Im on Fido but they dont offer 3G for ipad so they said call rogers. I called rogers and its $35 activation fee, $10 for the sim and $30/month can get me 1Gb data a month. $45 gets 2Gb and $65 gets 5GB.

First off which do you think would be more ideal?

1) Keep my blackbery but only use it for email and as a phone and cancel the $10...500MB plan I have on it now. And pay the $30 a month on rogers and use ipad 2 for web stuff. Cons is i wont have web when im out unless i have my ipad 2 with me, so ill have to bring it with me everywhere or at least keep it in the car. Pros is that i have a much larger screen and easier to type and use for longer periods of time.

2) Sell the blackberry and get an iphone 4. Use the iphone 4 for everything and refund the ipad 2 at future shop. I could downgrade to the wifi only but i think the ipad is kind of pointless if you dont get 3G. More future proof IMO, always nice to have for the future in case you say the data plans drop and/or you want to add it.

Thoughts?

If I went with a data plan on ipad 2, would 1Gb be enough?

Last edited:

Marabou Muddler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure what you do on the web, so it is hard to say what would be better - small web screen on a phone (regardless of whether BB or iPhone) or the larger screen on the iPad. I assume the browsers on the iPad have more functionality, but I do not actually know if that is true.

Re: phone - if the BB bugs you that much and you do not need it to link to MSOffice products for work, then why keep it?

It is time for me to to start looking at new phones again. As much as I'd like to have an iPhone, it simply won't work for me b/c I sync it to the MS Office products that I use for work (Task List, Calendar, Email, etc...). I know there are some products that sync some of the MS Office products w/ Apple products, but as far as I know, there isn't anything that will sync the Task List and they do not do a good job w/ all of the fields in the other programs.....so, I think I will have to choose a phone that syncs w/ Office.

Does not sound as though you have the above problem, so why not get the iPhone. Besides, you could then use your phone as a wi fi.

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure what you do on the web, so it is hard to say what would be better - small web screen on a phone (regardless of whether BB or iPhone) or the larger screen on the iPad. I assume the browsers on the iPad have more functionality, but I do not actually know if that is true.

Re: phone - if the BB bugs you that much and you do not need it to link to MSOffice products for work, then why keep it?

It is time for me to to start looking at new phones again. As much as I'd like to have an iPhone, it simply won't work for me b/c I sync it to the MS Office products that I use for work (Task List, Calendar, Email, etc...). I know there are some products that sync some of the MS Office products w/ Apple products, but as far as I know, there isn't anything that will sync the Task List and they do not do a good job w/ all of the fields in the other programs.....so, I think I will have to choose a phone that syncs w/ Office.

Does not sound as though you have the above problem, so why not get the iPhone. Besides, you could then use your phone as a wi fi.

Because I need to have my email on the fly. And I text a lot so the qwerty keyboard is nice. If you're saying to go back to a reg phone, not happening. I've used a smartphone for 6yrs now.

Loraco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had a blackberry now I have a droid 2 and next will be iPhone 4 I hate the blackberry it sucks ass!

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a BB bold 9700 on Roger's, no real complaints with it...

I JUST got the wifi only iPad, because IMO I think it would be stupid to get another data plan, particularly as whatever internet woes I have are not because of the blackberry, but because of the antiquated and garbage telecom providers in Canada!

Is it against the rules to talk about jail breaking here? Because someone told me there's a way to tether an iPad if you jailbreak it...can't confirm or deny that (again, if it's not cool to talk about jailbreaks, just delete this paragraph, please, mods!). Food for thought!

Marabou Muddler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because I need to have my email on the fly. And I text a lot so the qwerty keyboard is nice. If you're saying to go back to a reg phone, not happening. I've used a smartphone for 6yrs now.

No! :) I'm a tech junkie, I would never recommend going backwards w/ technology! I meant use the iPhone (& iPad) for your email! I think that syncing w/ MS Office is the only thing BB currently does better than iPhone, so if you don't need to sync your smart phone w/ MS Office, then you can use the iPhone and iPad for everything else - get rid of BB and use iPhone!

Most reactions

Latest posts