What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just want to print!!!!

Grnizzz13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 3G iphone and an iPad. I'm going to be exchanging to the new iPad. I have a wireless printer, but I can't print please help.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you're probably aware, Apple introduced its AirPrint technology with iOS 4.2.1. Under this version of the OS those apps that support in-app printing can print wirelessly to AirPrint compatible WiFi printers. Currently only a small number of printers support AirPrint - they are listed on the Apple web site. So, if your printer is one of those and you're using an app that supports in-app printing and you have iOS 4.2.1 then you'll be able to print.

Apps that support in-app printing include Apple's iWorks suite - Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

If your printer is not AirPrint compatible, then you'll need to use a third-party app, such as 'Print N Share' that cleverly inserts itself into the print menu of apps that support in-app printing and 'pretends' to be an AirPrint printer. If you choose the 'Print N Share' 'printer' when you try to print, the app 'translates' the AirPrint printing protocol into a form that your non-AirPrint printer 'understands'.

Print N Share supports direct-to-printer printing for most WiFi printers, though not all. For those that are not supported, it provides universal support via your PC or Mac - the company provides a small free app that sits on your PC or Mac and makes it appear like an attached printer so that the Print N Share app on your iPad can print.

By the way, if you choose the Print N Share route (I've used it with no problems) you need to be aware that under the multi-tasking operating systems iOS 4.2.1 Print N Share has to be 'running' in the background for you to be able to print. So, before starting an app, such as Pages, from which you might want to print, you'll need to start Print N Share and just leave it running.

Hope this helps - but don't hesitate to get back in contact if there are any further problems.

Tim
Scotland

JohnMak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim, does your Suggestion also work for Epson receipt printers?
Kind regards

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - PrintNShare or PrintCentral will work fine with Epson WiFi printers - or USB printers if connected to your PC. But there's been a recent change so that some of the information in those earlier posts is out-of-date. Unfortunately, the Developer of PrintNShare and PrintCentral used an undocumented API (Application Programmers' Interface) in the iPad's operating system, iOS. By doing this, they were able to offer 'in-app' printing, effectively making non-AirPrint printers 'appear' as though they were fully AirPrint compatible. But recently Apple forced the Developer to remove this capability in a recent update.

Some of us who have older versions of this app are no longer updating it, so that we can retain the in-app printing capability. New users will have to print from the PrintNShare or PrintCentral app - effectively one extra step. But it still works just fine.

Tim

krlv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this new version which supposedly complies with Apple's demands called PrintCentralPRO?

The app PrintCentral ---no PRO--- also still appears to be available. Wouldn't this be the older version you mention? If so, it is actually a dollar cheaper, though not shown on the developer's product matrix here: Best iPhone and iPad Printing App

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts