What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can't Tether my iPad

Mipp34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My computer that I was using to boot tethered with got a surge and is now fried.I am now using another computer in which I had to download the firmware again and Redsn0w along with iTunes. Redsn0w can't see the firmware. I am now using a pc that is running windows 7 instead of vista. Redsn0w runs and initializes just fine, but the ios is not recognized when I go to that folder, is there something that I am doing wrong? Any help would be awesome, can't wait to get back into my iPad.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure it hasn't been downloaded as a zip file or something like that? Maybe just needs to be renamed?

OP
M

Mipp34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is exactly where I downloaded the firmware from, if I have to rename it what do I rename it to?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
just make sure it has an ipsw file extension and redsn0w will be able to see it...
also, are you sure you have downloaded the iPad firmware... it must be for iPad, not iPhone etc.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know some people have to run redsnow as an administrator or run it in xp compatibility mode in windows 7.

OP
M

Mipp34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when I unzip my files it looks nothing like your picture.... It use to look exactly like that from my other computer, but on this one I can not get it to work. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• firm.jpg
    firm.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 297

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when I unzip my files it looks nothing like your picture.... It use to look exactly like that from my other computer, but on this one I can not get it to work. Any thoughts?

That is definitely not the firmware. If you upgraded to 4.2.1 with iTunes then you should have the firmware on your computer. In win 7 it is in Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates. That is the firmware you use for redsnow. Can you attach a higher resolution picture of that window, so we can read the filenames?

OP
M

Mipp34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JohnBoyWonder said:
Its very easy.

Links for iOS 4.2.1

[*]iPhone 4
[*]iPhone 3GS
[*]iPhone 3G
[*]iPad
[*]iPod touch 2G
[*]iPod touch 3G
[*]iPod touch 4G

Pick your firmware they are all iOS 4.2.1

Download redsn0w and import the firmware.
Follow redsn0w steps! Seriously you can't go wrong!

Finally got it, I just had to rename the firmware so that it ended in .ispw- not .zip. That was aggravating, thanks everyone for all the help!!

OP
M

Mipp34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Are you sure it hasn't been downloaded as a zip file or something like that? Maybe just needs to be renamed?

You were dead on the money, thank you soooo much!!!!!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts