What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to tell if you have an iPad 3?

Tricon7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can one tell just by looking at the iPad 3 or the box whether one has an iPad 3 or an iPad 2? I don't see anything obvious. And what's the best way to find out once one is in the iPad?

Wingless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tricon7 said:
How can one tell just by looking at the iPad 3 or the box whether one has an iPad 3 or an iPad 2? I don't see anything obvious. And what's the best way to find out once one is in the iPad?

While the screen is off? Well the back of it just says iPad on the new one instead of iPad 2, if iPad 2 also has iPad on the back then sorry, I would stick with the different curve the new one has under the edges.

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the box says 4G, that's definitely a 3rd gen. Product codes are specific too but that's tougher.

On the unit, the virtual keyboard will have the "microphone" (dictation) feature.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On the back of the box...in the bottom left corner, it should say (c) 2012 Apple Inc. for the new iPad...of course, this is not on the iPad itself. However, simply looking at the small text on any webpage should be a sure fire method, at least for me it would be. iPad 2 will have fuzzy, mal-formed letters. 2012 iPad will have well formed, crisp letters.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad 3 has model A1416 on the back,while the iPad 2 has model A1395 on the back.

Last edited:

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We use different color covers to tell them apart.

And you think the wife won't screw you over dude! Haha, women are all about color! Yep, you'll be walking around with an iPad 2 within a week swearing you don't know what all the new iPad fuss was about and she'll be all smiles!

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And you think the wife won't screw you over dude! Haha, women are all about color! Yep, you'll be walking around with an iPad 2 within a week swearing you don't know what all the new iPad fuss was about and she'll be all smiles!

lol. I have been married for 20 years. I knew the Ipad3 was hers before it ever arrived. At least I don't get stuck with the big clunky first gen anymore...

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have both boxes right here and only diff I see is iCloud on side of box vs just apple.....if u have it on the display will tell u:)
20120320_153323.jpg

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My 2nd iPad 2 box has the cloud on the box as well,as it was manufactured after iOs 5 and the cloud were introduced.

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then I guess the display is the way for u to tell.....text will be very crisp while iPad 2 will look grainy and outdated..like an old tv.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
The iPad 3 has model A1416 on the back,while the iPad 2 has model A1395 on the back.

You could always look at the model number on the back,as well.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Contra said:
you know this is a trick question
there is no iPad 3

the new iPad...yes
but NO iPad 3

I don't see the name "new iPad " anywhere. It iPad and you have to add either 2012 or 3rd gen to make it clear which one you are referring to. Apple just screwed it up. Why didn't they think this through before releasing the very first? Makes me think they really didn't believe it would be the hit it became.

Most reactions

Latest posts