What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to install free VLC PLayer

Mofolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got iOS 5.1 (so no jailbreak and no chance to get it via cydia) and found out that they are no longer ofering the free VLC Player in the app store. I've found a VLC PLayer binary file download on a freeware site (videolan[dot]org), so far so good. Unzipping results in a folder named "VLC 1.01 app" containing loads of .png files. How would I get this player running on an iPad without being able to use cydia?).

Thanks,

Mof

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You cannot. VLC was removed from the app store several months ago because there was a problem between the developers and Apple. It is not likely to return, since the problem cannot be solved.

I cannot pretend to understand what the difficulty actually was, but it was something to do with the fact that VLC is open source software, which Apple were not keen on. Hope this helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts