What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to group existing contacts?

Steriotyp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have several contacts synced already to my iPad 2 and iPhone 4, however, I can't figure out how to move them into the group I want them in. On a slightly different note, whenever I sync my contacts on either of the aforementioned, I get tons of duplicates. Somebody please help!

PS, I would like to use google for my contact sync

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to group contacts for use in the iPad's native Mail app, then almost all Members use MailShot, a third-party app that lets you create groups for your Contacts list and use them from the native Mail app.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can not create Groups in the Contacs app, they have to be synced. As far as I know only MobileMe accounts (or Address Book on a Mac) will sync groups at this time.

If you do have groups synced on the iPad you have to be in that Group to create a new contact in it. Contacts can not be moved on the iPad after they are created, you have to move them on the original list and let them sync.

Duplication is most often caused when you set up syncing in both your email account settings and in iTunes on the Info page. Use one or the other, not both. I don't recommend contact or calendar syncing through iTunes unless that is your only choice.

Duplication can also occure if you sync multiple devives and accounts to each other in a way that causes a loop. When syncing multiple devices and computers it is best to pick one source and sync everything to that.

OP
S

Steriotyp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm actually a bit more interested in how to do this on my iPhone 4 (Verizon). I can't change the group on any existing name in my book.

OP
S

Steriotyp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's sad news but I appreciate it all the same guys! OS5 looks great sonar. Hopefully they'll remember thisnlittlenfeature in it too.

Most reactions

Latest posts