What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to close apps that are running background

mommymelord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
please advice how to close apps on iPad and 4s.

i tried double clicking after goin on Home screen and placed my finger on the app icons but the red minus sign just doesn't appear on it. what do i do?

do i need to do something in the settings.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
please advice how to close apps on iPad and 4s. i tried double clicking after goin on Home screen and placed my finger on the app icons but the red minus sign just doesn't appear on it. what do i do? do i need to do something in the settings.
Hi, welcome to iPF!
This is new in iOS 7 (I hope you use it): After double clicking, swipe the thumbnails above the app icons upwards towards the top of the screen.

OP
mommymelord

mommymelord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you! but this doesn't seem to be working. i have almost all the apps open and its so frustrating that i m unable to close. is there any other way.

I wish in the upcoming software updates, they find something to Auto-shut apps after 30 mins inactivity and start fresh. This will help the Battery life.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you! but this doesn't seem to be working. i have almost all the apps open and its so frustrating that i m unable to close. is there any other way. I wish in the upcoming software updates, they find something to Auto-shut apps after 30 mins inactivity and start fresh. This will help the Battery life.
Which software is installed on your iPad?

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can you take a screen shot?

Use the on/off button at the top and the home button at the same time for just a second and it will capture your screen. When you reply, add the screen shot and we can see what iOS you have and better help you get programs shut down.

OP
mommymelord

mommymelord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS 7.0.2 i think. is there anyway to go back to version 6. actually i havent upgrade the iOS 7 on iPad. so thats not a problem

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you! but this doesn't seem to be working. i have almost all the apps open and its so frustrating that i m unable to close. is there any other way.

I wish in the upcoming software updates, they find something to Auto-shut apps after 30 mins inactivity and start fresh. This will help the Battery life.

Hello - the question being asked about your iOS version relates to a change in 'force' closing apps (see the quote below for the differences), so an important consideration - I would suggest first doing a 'Reset' on your iPad (see below); once done, then try the 'Force Close' directions, depending on the iOS version you are now running on the device - good luck! :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up):
a. iOS 6.x - press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.
b. iOS 7.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does it look this way when you double tap the Home button (7.0.2):
image-153725143.jpg
That's how it's working in iOS 7. Don't touch the icon, but the thumbnail.
iOS 6 looks different.
If you're running iOS 7, there's no way to return to 6.

OP
mommymelord

mommymelord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey J.A & Girdaman i appreciate it. Thnx so much.. i got it.. just thought about your comment above again; to swipe the open app upwards and i did it.. it went away.. Awesome Thanks again. have a wonderful evening you guys :)

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey J.A & Girdaman i appreciate it. Thnx so much.. i got it.. just thought about your comment above again; to swipe the open app upwards and i did it.. it went away.. Awesome Thanks again. have a wonderful evening you guys :)
That's great! :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Moving this to the a Help Section and out of POLLs.

Thanks,
Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

Most reactions

Latest posts