What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to chose well what to backup in so little gb ?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iCloud backup of your iPad does not include everything on your iPad, only certain data files. The rest of the files are on your computer already or are part of your App/iTunes/iBooks downloads which are NOT counted against your 5GB's of free storage.

For instance, I have about 55GB of files on my iPad, however my iCloud backup total is slightly less than 1GB.

Here's a list of the files that are included in the iPad/iCloud backup:

iCloud: Backup and restore overview

Hope that helps!

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richsadams said:
The iCloud backup of your iPad does not include everything on your iPad, only certain data files. The rest of the files are on your computer already or are part of your App/iTunes/iBooks downloads which are NOT counted against your 5GB's of free storage.

For instance, I have about 55GB of files on my iPad, however my iCloud backup total is slightly less than 1GB.

Here's a list of the files that are included in the iPad/iCloud backup:

iCloud: Backup and restore overview

Hope that helps!

In addition to what richsadams has said check out this article just posted by Macworld

http://www.macworld.com/article/163412/2011/11/icloud_vs_wi_fi_sync_which_does_what.html

Sent from my iPhone/iPad using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In addition to what richsadams has said check out this article just posted by Macworld

iCloud vs. Wi-Fi Sync: Which does what? | Macworld
G
Sent from my iPhone/iPad using iPF
Good find! :thumbs: I have the magazine sitting here (and their app, which is pretty good BTW) but hadn't gotten to it yet. :eek:

As it mentions, I've been backing up to both iCloud daily and iTunes about once a week or so. Here's a list of what items are backed up to iTunes (Vs iCloud):

iTunes: About iOS backups

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good find! :thumbs: I have the magazine sitting here (and their app, which is pretty good BTW) but hadn't gotten to it yet. :eek:

As it mentions, I've been backing up to both iCloud daily and iTunes about once a week or so. Here's a list of what items are backed up to iTunes (Vs iCloud):

iTunes: About iOS backups

in is not in the print version. It is from an app for the iPad from Macworld. It is a news updater done daily Monday thru Friday covering Mac, IOS, Buisness, Creative and other headers. Well worth a look

Macworld Daily Reader | Macworld

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
in is not in the print version. It is from an app for the iPad from Macworld. It is a news updater done daily Monday thru Friday covering Mac, IOS, Buisness, Creative and other headers. Well worth a look

Yep, they do a great job. I really look forward to the Macalope's weekly column. I read that if nothing else!

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Careful. My Kindle app took up a whopping 2.7 GB on iCloud, and I was down to 800 MB left. I disabled the backup for Kindle and now have plenty of cloud storage left. The Kindle books have their own cloud storage so I don't think they need this redundancy. I have a few hundred books, but several are enhancecd books that take up a lot of space.

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davidalan99 said:

Hi,

Thanks for the app link, just downloaded :-D

Regards,
~Chays~

Most reactions

Latest posts