What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many here just tether their ipad to their iphone?

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a pocket wifi wireless modem with my wifi only iPad in my bag at all times for work. I thought it pointless to pay that extra $150 for ipad with wifi and 3G when you would have to go on a data plan with one of the phone providers and in the end you would be paying twice as much. So I just bought a pocket wifi for $30 and just put $20 in a month that I need it. If I don't need wifi because I'm in the office or at home I won't pay to top it up and I'm not out of pocket each month..

What is the name of your pocket wi-fi,it sounds like the type and plan I would like to use.

Al.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the name of your pocket wi-fi,it sounds like the type and plan I would like to use.

Al.

Both Virgin Mobile and TruConnect offer such plans. However, the prices of the mifi devices is considerably more than $30 and the data plans may be more expensive than "macdaddio" quotes depending on one's use. Both use Sprint's network.

macdaddio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Al Rogers said:

Al.

It is a vodafone pocket wifi one. I purchased it online and saved $40...Best thing I ever done was not go out and spend the extra $200 for a 3G model iPad...

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a vodafone pocket wifi one. I purchased it online and saved $40...Best thing I ever done was not go out and spend the extra $200 for a 3G model iPad...

Unfortunately, this is an example of how much the price of devices and cost/provisions of data plans vary from one country to another. Given the reference to the vodafone pocket wifi I assume you're in Australia. Your deal isn't available in the US for example. On the other hand, the price difference in the wifi and 3G iPad in the US is less than the $200 (AUD) in Australia.

macdaddio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Unfortunately, this is an example of how much the price of devices and cost/provisions of data plans vary from one country to another. Given the reference to the vodafone pocket wifi I assume you're in Australia. Your deal isn't available in the US for example. On the other hand, the price difference in the wifi and 3G iPad in the US is less than the $200 (AUD) in Australia.

Yes I'm from Australia..IPad 2 wifi plus 3G cost $729AU...iPad 2 16gb wifi only cost $579AU...
With 3G you would still need to go on a data plan to use the 3G internet, and for me personaly I am already on a 3G data plan with my iPhone so I would be paying twice as much for both iPad and iPhone.
I feel that the pocket wifi modem is perfect and I am not out of pocket per month as I would be if I went on a 3G data plan...

Most reactions

Latest posts