What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many here just tether their ipad to their iphone?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is a terribly complicated issue. And it gets even more confused and complicated by the fact that different carriers, different phones, and different countries make a huge difference in the conclusions one draws. I'll just add a couple of points that relate only to the US.

() Despite claims that the iPhone 4S performs significantly better than the iPhone 4 in terms of internet download speeds, that does not appear to be the case according to tests conducted by Gizmodo. So if you're hoping that the 4S will provide a much better alternative for tethering, that's probably not the case. The good news, of course, is that if you have an iPhone 4, you probably will get nearly as good performance from that device.

() The iPhone 3G performance is much, much slower than 4G service now available on a number of Android phones. (Not trying to start a war here. Just pointing it out.) If you want to (and can) benefit from 4G connectivity, a mobile hotspot or 4G phone is a better alternative than an iPhone in terms of performance. (My Verizon 4G/LTE mobile hotspot achieves speeds from 6 to 10 times that of 3G connectivity.) But keep in mind that I have a two year contract with a minimum charge of $50 per month (for five gigabytes) with that device. I can, however, use it simultaneously with five devices, including my smartphone that would otherwise be limited to 3G connectivity.

(Note: I happen to live in an area that has very good 4G/LTE coverage. The download speeds I get from my mobile hotspot approach those of a cable modem. Even if you don't have such coverage currently, it's likely it will be available to you soon. Carriers are rolling out such coverage rapidly. And apart from the inherently faster speeds, the 4G networks are much less congested than the 3G networks.)

() I have not seen any comparisons in download speeds between an iPad 3G and an iPad tethered to an iPhone. It's likely, however, that the former is somewhat faster. The usual difference in performance ranges from about 20% to 40%. You may or may not notice this difference depending on what you're doing. And as I said, I haven't seen any reliable comparisons between the iPad 3G and the performance of tethered iPad wifi devices.

() As others have pointed out, most users can save money by tethering their iPad to a smartphone and avoid paying for separate data plans. In the US there is the initial price difference ($130) plus the difference in the tethering fee ($20) and the monthly iPad data plan ($30 for 2 gigs on Verizon.) I'm not certain, however, whether the tethering charge can be turned on and off as the iPad data plan can be. If not, the savings may be less unless you use 3G at least once every 30 days.

() Keep in mind that your data download use may go up very significantly when you add an iPad. It's much more pleasant to watch a streaming movie on an iPad than on a smartphone, for example. Thus, you may exceed the monthly ceiling by sharing the devices. And even if you don't, some carriers (AT&T and Verizon, for example) may "throttle" your downloads once you reach an undefined level of use. The throttling will affect both your phone and your iPad if it occurs. This is likely not a major problem for most users, especially if your data use on your smartphone declines as you use an iPad more frequently. But it's something to consider if you're already bumping up toward the ceiling of your current data plan.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Beryl said:
I enjoyed my tiny PalmPre but not the overheating battery quirkiness whenever it is used as a hotspot. it was replaced twice and Verizon wants us all off the gravy train so they will offer nothing more. My iPhone 4S will ship on the 21st. The extra $20/mo to turn my iPhone into a hotspot would be great if it would use its unlimited data plan. It doesn't. I decided to get a Truconnect Mifi for now. I doubt I'll need more than that when I'm out and about and don't want to use my iPhone for online activities.

BTW, I do not trust public wifi - at all. I have way too much personal financial data and apps. I'll have to weigh out the value of gps when I upgrade to the iPad 3 next year. If I really love Siri, I might have to get the 3G (or 4G) model.

I think ours are Pluses but I don't care for the phones. We would not have gotten them if they didn't offer the free hot spot but we haven't had any heating issues--probably because we don't use the hot spots much LOL. In truth we rarely use it as I said, so much wifi. I have no financial data on my Ipad (most important is in the cloud) so its little worry. Lots of other info that would be of little interest to others.

We will have to make decisions in May when our contracts are up because I know Verizon won't continue this and we want to replace phones. I don't use a phone much so am planning to buy Ipad 3 but will have to decide 3G or not--likely yes with my old LG phone. My husband will move to an Iphone and won't replace his Ipad.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone uses a Myfi or similar for tethering (if I missed this I'm sorry). That's one solution that has been mentioned a number of times in other places. I see the issue of carrying yet another device. I am a photographer and already carry camera(s), lenses, Ipad, peripheral gear ---plus cell. Are there pros I haven't thought of--never have the need to tether a second device since I no longer carry my laptop--- though my Touch chimes in if I have forgotten to turn off wifi (its always in car for my music plus downloaded Rhapsody). I will have to make a decision of buying Ipad 3 with 3G --or not. Right now it appears to have more pluses than other solutions.

Diane

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The cost of iPad 3G is negligible to me, and I prefer the convenience of not tethering to my iPhone.

The best thing is having choice, whether you choose to tether or not, whatever fits your budget.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone uses a Myfi or similar for tethering (if I missed this I'm sorry). That's one solution that has been mentioned a number of times in other places. I see the issue of carrying yet another device. I am a photographer and already carry camera(s), lenses, Ipad, peripheral gear ---plus cell. Are there pros I haven't thought of--never have the need to tether a second device since I no longer carry my laptop--- though my Touch chimes in if I have forgotten to turn off wifi (its always in car for my music plus downloaded Rhapsody). I will have to make a decision of buying Ipad 3 with 3G --or not. Right now it appears to have more pluses than other solutions.

Diane

I use a mifi from Verizon (a Samsung SCH11... mobile hotspot.) Cost was $49 to me since I upgraded and would have been $99 otherwise. Provides excellent service and performance, especially in 4G/LTE areas. (Average of about 8mps with occasional bursts of up to 15 mps. That's about 6 to 9 times faster than 3G connections.) Device is the size of a playing card, about 1/4 inch thick and weighs maybe 3 oz.) Battery lasts about 4-5 hours on 4G and about an hour longer on 3G if I'm not in a 4G service area. Of course, I can also use it plugged into a wall socket and I seldom need internet access for more than 4 hours when I'm away from power. I just turn it on and leave it the bag in which I carry the iPad. Since I can attach multiple devices (up to five) I sometimes use it to provide 4G service for my 3G cell phone (and I do carry a laptop when I travel so that's another connection.)

Works very well for me since I get five gigabytes per month for $50 ($10 per additional megabyte up to $80 at which point it is unlimited.) Two minuses compared to a 3G iPad.

() No GPS in the iPad but I don't really need it since my Android cell phone provides better GPS service including turn-by-turn voice navigation than the iPad.

() I don't have the option of turning off the data plan on a month-by-month basis as I could with a 3G iPad. But since I need to have access for at least a day or so via 3G or 4G, the incremental cost is something I'm willing to bear. And while there are many months that I could get by with the 2GIG plan (for $30), there are months in which I come close to the 5 GIGS and the difference is non-existent in those months.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
mybubbles65 said:
How do you tether? I am in Canada on Rogers. I have a 1st gen iPad and a Blackberry. What to I do to get it to work?

I don't know for the blackberry, but with my iPhone 3GS, I simply paired the iPhone and the iPad together. Then I just need to connect my iPad to my iPhone via Bluetooth and there it is. Of course, tethering must be activated on your iPhone...

VicoPad addict!

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
I don't know for the blackberry, but with my iPhone 3GS, I simply paired the iPhone and the iPad together. Then I just need to connect my iPad to my iPhone via Bluetooth and there it is. Of course, tethering must be activated on your iPhone...

VicoPad addict!

How do you like blue tooth tethering? Speed, reliability, battery drain?

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tethering has been well covered in this thread. The only caveat not mentioned (I think) is the serious battery drain. That is one of the other reasons I opted for Mifi instead. The other is the ability to give up to 5 devices access. Nice whole-house backup in case of a service outage. Here is the research I completed on Mifi:

1. Comcast Internet2Go @ $25/mo for 2GB 3G, or $40 4G unlimited (and/or 5GB 3G) is the clear winner for Comcast customers who use at least 1GB/month.

2. Virgin Mobile 3G Broadband2Go @ $10/10days for 100MB, $20/mo for 500MB, $50 unlimited comes in 2nd, if you use under 500 MB per month.

3. Verizon offers a Mifi with the same data plan costs you get on Smartphones - up to $80 for unlimited. My uncle has it because they let him grandfather his $30 unlimited plan. He has a 3G iPad but prefers Mifi for his laptop also when he is RVing.

4. Clear.com @ $20/mo for 200 MB or 4G $45/month or 3G/4G $55 month for unlimited

5. TruConnect.com @ $5/mo, no contract, pay as you go by the megabyte. 3.9 cents/MB. Good for occasional (200 MB or less per month) use or when needed. No big bundle that you pay for whether you use it or not. Sprint Network.

I got TruConnect since my use is minimal (>100 MB/mo) right now which is cost of a couple of Starbucks drinks. If/when it increases, I may go with Comcast.

Hope this helps.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
skallal said:
How do you like blue tooth tethering? Speed, reliability, battery drain?

It works good. Speed is around 1Mb/sec and I can be several feet away. The battery drain is not that bad. Actually seems to drain more on the iPhone as the iPad seems to have the same battery drain as wifi use. Let's say that for downloading, it's not the best, but for streaming or browsing, you don't see the difference.

VicoPad addict!

IpadGeekTron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapmyapple said:
To me i think having 3G ipad if you have an iphone already is pointless. Cause if youre like me and have iphone and i literally always have my iphone one me. When im out its always with me. Im glad i returned mine and got the wifi one cause i realized that tethering takes 5secs and it saved $120. People say it drains the battery, yes but its not that bad, i can get a solid 6-7hrs usage using my iphone tethered and really how often do i need to use 3g for this long? never.

But the most importamt factor is not having a second data plan which im so happy about or having to swap sim cards.

Sent from my sexy black iPad 2 using iPF

I agree, i actually use tether from my Samsung Android phone. Usually if im out and about, i'll tap into the internet at that location. But if i cant do that, then i use my phone. To me it was not worth it to spend extra money for the internet servce considering how many times i actually need to access the net when im out in public.

gjhsmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a delis charge phone and easy tether app which I have used to tether MacBook pro, can it tether my iPad using the camera USB connected?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

gjhsmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IpadGeekTron said:
I agree, i actually use tether from my Samsung Android phone. Usually if im out and about, i'll tap into the internet at that location. But if i cant do that, then i use my phone. To me it was not worth it to spend extra money for the internet servce considering how many times i actually need to access the net when im out in public.

Would you mind sharing with me how you did it. I have a droid charge and I purchased the easy tether app from the marketplace. It works great on my MacBook pro but I don't know how to do it on my iPad.do you use the USB camera adapter? Thanks Glenda

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Would you mind sharing with me how you did it. I have a droid charge and I purchased the easy tether app from the marketplace. It works great on my MacBook pro but I don't know how to do it on my iPad.do you use the USB camera adapter? Thanks Glenda

You can not use a wired (USB) tether with the iPad. It only works with the hotspot (wi-fi) tether, or in the case of iPhones, bluetooth. I believe there are bluetooth solutions for a few other phones, but they may require jailbreaking.

@AdmiralAdama: Your link does not appear to work, at least not at the moment.

Most reactions

Latest posts