What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long does it take for ibooks to load

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an iPad original 32GB wifi and my iBooks contains a mixture of 3000+ ePub and PDF books. Lately it has taken up to 30 seconds to load iBooks and after going a few times, I've pressed home button and the top button until the iPad closes and then restarted by pressing the two buttons again. This generally restarts the app. I have all the latest updates. My question is - Am I the only one experiencing this problem? I'm hoping it's an update problem.
Hayley
Somerset UK

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've tried going into iBooks and again it took 22 seconds and then crashed. I went into it again and it took 56 seconds to open the app and open at my saved bookmark.
Now that I'm more aware, I will keep checking this.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tested a free book just now and didn't have a prob loading. I'm on iOS 5.1. I have only a few books on iBooks, though.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hiya Kay, well I did the check again and it crashed after 22 seconds and then when I went into iBooks again, it took 42 seconds to load my book I'm reading. I cleared the multitask bar first, just to see if that makes a difference. I'll check again later. How long does it take for your iBooks to load and does it ever crash?

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did a check for you
All ok.
A little bit slow ,but not like your times.
I mainly use my amazon or kobo anyway
I'm on 5.1 as well.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Really? Sigh! Does that mean my iPad is showing its age? Poor thing! I wonder what the life of these things are? I'd be gutted if mine died.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just did three freebies in a row, on iPad 1, then on iPad 2. Each took about 10-12 seconds to load. iPad 2 was maybe three seconds faster than iPad 1.

I was testing for you. I don't normally buy from iBooks, because I prefer Kindle, so that my ebooks aren't tied to one hardware maker's devices.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh, Kay! What do you think is happening? Why? I will try again just to see.
Update: 47 seconds

gift eze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I tested a free book just now and didn't have a prob loading. I'm on iOS 5.1. I have only a few books on iBooks, though.

How did u do it

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Go into iBooks and press the store button and go into categories and it will give you the top paid and top free books list.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, Kay! What do you think is happening? Why? I will try again just to see.
Update: 47 seconds

Have you tried the usual troubleshooting -- close app, restart, reset? If that doesn't work, maybe escalate to deleting app or restoring iPad. (That could suck with so much content already on your device.)

I suspect that you might be having probs because you have such a large library, but that's just a hunch.

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, that is my thought too!

Stacey Sheppard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iBook crashes every time I try to load it.... And I cant figure out how to post my own question? I feel so noob even tho I have been a Mac user for like ever!

I'm doing an update, if this doesn't work, should I write to apple apps?

Last edited:
OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've bought a new iPad now and it loads perfectly. I only have a few books on there though.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
at least you can get yours to load... I just loaded my full library onto my iPad2 (4016 titles) and iBooks is refusing to open. I don't think Apple designed iBooks to bear that kind of load even though my books take up only 1gb or so of space.

As I'm typing this it's been about 3 minutes since I launched the app and started looking for this thread. The app has loaded the 14 books that were already loaded on the iPad but nothing else. I'm getting the swirly wheel in the corner.

Most reactions

Latest posts