What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari update today - how does it work?

kestrel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been having tremendous problems with safai crashing and when reading a newspaper on-line, when pressing the back button tab, it goes to a previous edition.

I have found loads of people with this problem and everything tried has not solved this anomaly.

Today on my laptop, I saw an update to safari 5.1, it said would fix stability probs etc. i downloaded this update.

My question, is how does safari on my iPad1 receive this update. I am using cloud and went to settings software update etc, it said I was up to date with ios501. No mention of the safari update.

If I have to connect to itunes on the laptop, I cant see what the point of cloud is.

Just to make sure, can some kind person tell me how to get safari on my iPad updated.

Many thanks

(Frustrated from London)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Right now, iOS 5.1.0 is in beta testing, which means that it's not for the general public. It's only for developers - who have paid $99/year for the "privilege" of testing the software out. Well, actually, what they pay for is to have the software ahead of time so they can make sure their apps work on the new software.

Regardless, that version is not for general public release. What we have now, to use on the iPad, is the version you currently have installed, iOS 5.0.1.

All I can say is to hang in there. Oh, you could try a restart or a reset of your iPad to see if it removes some of the "hinky" behavior. It may help while you wait for any public updates. Do do either (or both!):

Restart:
Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Good luck - and hang in there!

Marilyn

OP
K

kestrel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn, will just hang in/on and see what happens

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Kestrel1 - sorry about your problems w/ Safari - you could try another browser? I have Atomic Web but others are available - if interested, read the comments at the App store to see if any appear more stable, or hopefully others will 'chime in' w/ their experiences using other browsers? Good luck! :)

OP
K

kestrel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Giradman
Thanks for that, yes am aware of other browsers but safari should work well and as I have all my bookmarks set up on safari, I really don't see why I should have to move from the Apple preference

Most reactions