What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you feel about Apple collecting locations and other data from your device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are a law abiding citizen and do no wrong (to the best of your ability), what's the problem? I'm not at all bothered either way.

I'll second that...I have nothing to hide...sent from my iPad 1 while in the bathroom....there you know where I am I dare you to come and get me:D

OP
SkyStudio

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
geep said:
I'll second that...I have nothing to hide...sent from my iPad 1 while in the bathroom....there you know where I am I dare you to come and get me:D

No one cares about u or me on this subject, I think it's our money, control and manipulation for profitable interests that they seek

Sent from my iPad2 64GB wifi 3G using iPF

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a nice scenario:
Police is holding a suspect for rape.
He is being asked if at any time he was visiting the town XXX at the neighborhood YYY.
He deny it.
The police is taking his iPhone and proves him wrong.
Now the investigation gains a point.

Katrina2475

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fuzzyfelts said:
If you are a law abiding citizen and do no wrong (to the best of your ability), what's the problem? I'm not at all bothered either way.

I'm with you. I'm a stay at home mom with nothing to hide. I go to the grocery store and doctors appointments with occasional jaunts to the zoo or park. I figure I rank pretty low with their tracking.

Sent from my 32 GB wifi Ipad 2

OP
SkyStudio

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
peled said:
Here is a nice scenario:
Police is holding a suspect for rape.
He is being asked if at any time he was visiting the town XXX at the neighborhood YYY.
He deny it.
The police is taking his iPhone and proves him wrong.
Now the investigation gains a point.

You see this on Miami vice or something lol, since when do law enforcement have the right to decide what to search for, maybe in nazi germany but not in the usa, police need search warrants authorized by a district attorney, only on T V do some seem to think that even P I s get a badge and forever work for themselves, there are lawyers, state department and other factors involved to prosecute someone for serious crimes., if the preceding is not correct and evidence used against someone is false the officers, lawyers and other state controlled enforcement agents can be fined, even have to return to take a course to get their licenses back.

Also remember google was sued for using the device Ids of europeens users to exploit information and Internet, they basically got way by faking the device I'd, how would you like I someone used your device ID, raped someone and the cops see your ID in the victims emails, location and all, yet you where home like it's 1984 claiming you have nothing to hide, this is what law enforcement agents are concerned about with device Ids, apple is been sued by law firms not a few fat joes who are upset someone knows where they went to pay for sex.

Last edited:

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this has became a big deal. its all over the news. people dont like this and find it creepy. has anyone tried out the apo that supposedly uses that info to let you see everywhere you have been with your ipad or iphone?

Reaction score
Ipad007 said:
this has became a big deal. its all over the news. people dont like this and find it creepy. has anyone tried out the apo that supposedly uses that info to let you see everywhere you have been with your ipad or iphone?

Not yet, it is Mac only.

But even then, the app is severely restricted, as it doesn't let you zoom in closely and only shows week-by-week view. So it cannot be used to track ones position down to the second.

Reaction score
Patriot Act. If it's considered national security it's legal to use with or without our knowledge.
Stores have been using this sort of stuff for years to get us to buy products. Anyone ever notice why the coupons they give with your receipt are different at a location you are visiting than the ones at your home area grocery or drug store? Those MVP/rewards type discount cards we hand the cashier to knock some off our bill.
Oh and if you've ever used Google search.......

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well they can no longer track me ;-) for jailbreakers, if you wish to no longer have your location info tracked secretly, download "Untrackerd" from cydia. its a free tweak and is in the Big Boss repository. it runs in the background, no icon or settings to configure. it continuously clears that location info file that keeps this secret data at. ive already installed it on my ipad. you have to be ios 4 or higher.

OP
SkyStudio

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad007 said:

It's getting there, none of the broadcast stations will cover this apple lawsuit until the final verdict like all cases, this individual location thread is based on a incident taken place just a few days ago, so like all news time will tell.

OP
SkyStudio

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad007 said:
well they can no longer track me ;-) for jailbreakers, if you wish to no longer have your location info tracked secretly, download "Untrackerd" from cydia. its a free tweak and is in the Big Boss repository. it runs in the background, no icon or settings to configure. it continuously clears that location info file that keeps this secret data at. ive already installed it on my ipad. you have to be ios 4 or higher.

All these so called security apps claim to clear your history, they let you think it's cleared, firefox clearly dispelled al the gizmo with that, they said while you can clear history your ISP recorded it already, using a VPN service may be a work around though.

OP
SkyStudio

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JJK said:
Just add Apple to your list of followers. We are being followed everywhere we go and about everything we do. On one side we want the latest technology, but on the other hand we do not want to be disturbed.

This type of profiling of customer behavior is all around us. If you do not agree, stop using the internet and handphone. Back to the good old days.

Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Your comment to whether I agree or not has nothing to do with a company selling you a device for money then stealing information with out your consent, they recently added the privacy rights with out clearly telling anyone what it's for.

You Guys don't need any special apps to see where you been, it's all recorded using iphotos places, that's really how they do it, this is the app that tracks the device down.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's been brought up several times , especially on April 20th at Where 2.0 conference in Santa Clara.

While we ourselves may not be any threat to anyone i find it to be a violation of our privacy because personal or not some companies and people do get stalked, this is going on with out our permission and we have no option to turn it on or off while yet paid allot for our devices

However, the information does not actually leave your device according to Allan and Pete Warden in this link.
Why is Apple recording iPhone and iPad users’ locations? | VentureBeat

I'll bet you have a Facebook account ... is that a violation of your privacy... they use and sell your so called private data like crazy. Why not go after Google, Microsoft, Bing and every brower, because they track you like crazy. If you look thru this thread you'll find out your fear is FUD.... and you and so many including politicians just love to spout this kind of stuff. You're in no way being tracked, plotted against or anything of the sort. Just making GPS work better for all. Get a life.

OP
SkyStudio

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
I'll bet you have a Facebook account ... is that a violation of your privacy... they use and sell your so called private data like crazy. Why not go after Google, Microsoft, Bing and every brower, because they track you like crazy. If you look thru this thread you'll find out your fear is FUD.... and you and so many including politicians just love to spout this kind of stuff. You're in no way being tracked, plotted against or anything of the sort. Just making GPS work better for all. Get a life.

Facebook does not and can not access unique device IDs, using a simulator one can create a false history and carry out a crime in your device's ID, this is even more serious then idiots on Facebook who cry about photos and friends been shared with the world, of course companies even had employees sign agreements not to use fb on their network as well.

So don't tell me to get a life if you insist to be like a nazis, if they only knew then that if everyone had the same blood they would be retarded, someone has to show the proof to the KKK now as well because they seem to think that it's good to be retarded.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
SkyStudio said:
Facebook does not and can not access unique device IDs, using a simulator one can create a false history and carry out a crime in your device's ID, this is even more serious then idiots on Facebook who cry about photos and friends been shared with the world, of course companies even had employees sign agreements not to use fb on their network as well.

I don't understand your argument.... you seem to be making the leap that somehow the unique device ID of your iPad will stand up in a court of law as though it was your DNA profile. Almost every identify can be spoofed somehow. For this reason none of it can be used as evidence... It might inform an investigation, but it's circumstantial at best...
Also, the true location history from your actual device would provide evidence that it was spoofed and therefore the false history is unreliable.

Time for an Apple Conspiracy Theories section of the forums I think... This is fun! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts