What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Do I Print From iPad to Printer?

pdmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Epson, Artisan 710 printer. It has Wi-Fi capabilities. My home computers (3 of them) run on a wireless network.

I want to be able to print from my iPad. I have Pages on my iPad.

Everything I read says I can print from my iPad to my printer - but when it comes to the nuts and bolts of it all, everything kind of dissolves in a muddle of confusion, based upon what I have read so far on this Forum and generally on the Internet.

With what I have, can I print from my iPad to my printer? If so, would someone be so kind as to give me a little easy-to-understand, step by step on exactly how to do it?

(My printer is not on the AirPrint compatible list.)

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless that printer was specifically designed to print with the iPad you have to have the printer connected to a computer that is running the Bonjour Service (iTunes installs this service). Then you have to install an AirPrint service and configure it to start the Bonjour Service from the iPad. The iPad and the printer need to be on the same wireless network for all this to work.

AirPrint is a PITA to configure on a Domain network. If it is a home network (workgroup) it works wonderfully.

I don't recall the webpage that has the instructions for installing the AirPrint service but a quick google for AirPrint should get you there.

Nate

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another possibility is to use a third party app, such as 'Print N Share'. This app cleverly inserts itself into the iPad's in-app AirPrint printing menu so that it 'appears' like an AirPrint printer. It then 'translates' the AirPrint printing protocol to a form that your printer 'understands' and connects via WiFi to your printer. Most all WiFi printers are supported but, even if they're not, any printer can be used if it's connected to a host PC using a free PC or Mac app that enables your PC/Mac to connect to your iPad wirelessly.

I'm not connected with the company that markets this app, but I've used it to connect my Samsung Color printer (not an AirPrint compatible printer) with no problems.

You need to be running iOS 4.2.1 at least and the Print N Share app needs to be running under iOS multi-tasking.

Let me know if you need any further information.

Tim
Scotland

OP
P

pdmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless that printer was specifically designed to print with the iPad you have to have the printer connected to a computer that is running the Bonjour Service

Physically connected (USB cable), or Wi-Fi connected? My printer is set up to run wireless, and prints from my compter via a wireless, home network.

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless that printer was specifically designed to print with the iPad you have to have the printer connected to a computer that is running the Bonjour Service

Physically connected (USB cable), or Wi-Fi connected? My printer is set up to run wireless, and prints from my compter via a wireless, home network.

You know...I don't know. I do know it has to be shared by the PC it is connected to. If you can access it from the PC via WiFi and then share it I bet it would work.

Nate

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You know...I don't know. I do know it has to be shared by the PC it is connected to. If you can access it from the PC via WiFi and then share it I bet it would work.

Nate

WiFi is fine - or USB - Print N Share just routes the printing via your PC to your printer - using whatever connection your PC-printer was using normally, so even Bluetooth would be OK. Basically, if you use this method, Print N Share sends the printing to your PC and then it's printed just as if some PC program - such as Word or Internet Explorer - was trying to print. You even get in the iPad a choice of printers, if your PC happens to have multiple printers connected.

Tim
Scotland

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
I've never specifically printed from my iPads, but did from my iPod and iPhone using PrinterShare. You have to pay for the priviledge, but it works well. My wife uses it with her laptop all the time (because her laptop has curious network issues).

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Last edited:

Luke Bizzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for lack of specifics here. Don't know if it's US only? It's a Mac print app that sits on my MBP, and my iPad prints through it via wifi. iPad "sees" every printer that allows sharing on the network and can print through any of them. It works quite well. Not sure if this would be of help to you.

Johnnyipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had the same Ipad printing problem with Artisan 710

...and I just downloaded the trial version of Printopia (ecamm.com/mac/printopia/). Worked immediately!! Full version is only $9.95.. cheaper than buying a new printer! :)

John

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts