What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I backup the audio books included on an ipad2 I won

sarasotasrq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I won an iPad2 from Franklin Covey at a conference in Orlando. It came preloaded with all of his books in audio format. But since I have no access to the computer that originally loaded these books, how can I back them up to my iTunes library so that I can upgrade to iOS 5? If I upgrade without the backup the instructions say all data will be lost. The books have a higher retail value than the ipad2, lol!

When I do a sync in iTunes it doesn't capture the books from my iPad, but I could very well be doing something wrong. Any assistance would be appreciated.

An iPad and iTunes neophyte...

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From reading other posts-one from Twerppoet--have you tried to transfer your purchases from the ipad2 to itunes. When you turn on itunes and connect your ipad-right click onto the ipad icon under "Device"-and it should give you that option. You might try doing that first-I hope it works for you. :)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on winning your iPad...there's not much better than free! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Advanced Search box (at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

With regard to your question(s), two things...first per skimonkey, you should be able to synchronize your audio books between your iPad and your computer on iTunes. That way you'll have them not only as a backup but available on your computer as well. Just be sure when you sync that under the the "Books" tab the "Sync Audio Books" box is checked. It looks like this:

Screen Shot 2011-10-20 at 2.01.29 PM.png

More about syncing your iPad here:

iOS: Syncing with iTunes

Second, the upgrade process includes removing data from your iPad, however the data is backed up first. Then the new iOS is installed and then the data you had is restored from the backup. So your audio books (and everything else) should remain intact. All of my data including all of my audio books were still there after upgrading my iPad to iOS 5.

BTW, I moved your post to the iPad Help area where you’re likely to get a better response to your question.

Welcome again and enjoy!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the Transfer Purchases options does not work do not sync. The chances are strong it will removed the books if they are not stored in the iTunes library on the computer.

The only way I know of to get audio off of the iPad other than Transfer Purchases are some third party programs you can load on the computer. You'll have to Google for it.

You might contact the contest and ask if there is a way you'll be able to restore the books if you lose them on the iPad. Maybe they will supply you with some codes, or a site you can download them from again.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the Transfer Purchases options does not work do not sync. The chances are strong it will removed the books if they are not stored in the iTunes library on the computer.

The only way I know of to get audio off of the iPad other than Transfer Purchases are some third party programs you can load on the computer. You'll have to Google for it.

You might contact the contest and ask if there is a way you'll be able to restore the books if you lose them on the iPad. Maybe they will supply you with some codes, or a site you can download them from again.
Good points. :thumbs:

OP
S

sarasotasrq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, everynoe, you have verified my suspicions. The books are stored in a separate audio playlist under Ed's iPad-FranklinCovey Audio. But if I go up to iTunes library the "Music" folder is totally empty. And if I try to sync music I get the warning "Are you sure you want to sync music? All existing content on the iPad "Ed's iPad" will be removed and replaced with songs and playlists from your itunes library." however, my itunes library is totally empty. The only thing it is syncing is pictures.

I had already emailed Franklin Covey earlier this afternoon and am awaiting a response from them.

Thank you everyone for your assistance. I am going to investigagte the third party applications mentioned by richsadams, I suspect that will be the only viable route.

OP
S

sarasotasrq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, and I did try syncing purchases and it did sync the apps I purchased. But the books were not purchased so they didn't sync. Just wanted to let you know I did try all suggestions.

Most reactions

Latest posts