What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I tranfer Word doc to itune and then to my iPad2? I have Pages on my iPad2

diggsm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I tranfer Word doc to itune and then to my iPad2? I have Pages on my iPad2

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With your iPad connected to the computer, select it in iTunes. Choose the Apps link from the top of the page.

On the App syncing page scroll down to the File Sharing section and choose Pages from the list of apps to the left. Now you can either use the Choose button or drag the word documents (.doc or .docx only) to the file box. No need to sync, the files are copied instantly.

When you open Pages, you won't see them immediately. They still have to be imported to the app itself. In the file view tap the + sign at the top left and choose Copy from: iTunes. You should see the list of your documents. Choose the one you want to import.

You can also export Pages documents this way through iTunes. With the document open, tap the wrench icon and choose Share and Print, then Send to iTunes. The next time you connect to iTunes and look at the File Sharing section they will be there. Just drag them to the desktop or a folder.

These documents will remain in this area until you go to iTunes and delete them. A strange quirk that actually makes for a decent substitute templates.

iOS: About File Sharing

OP
D

diggsm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I got it to work

fiat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With your iPad connected to the computer, select it in iTunes. Choose the Apps link from the top of the page.

On the App syncing page scroll down to the File Sharing section and choose Pages from the list of apps to the left. Now you can either use the Choose button or drag the word documents (.doc or .docx only) to the file box. No need to sync, the files are copied instantly.

When you open Pages, you won't see them immediately. They still have to be imported to the app itself. In the file view tap the + sign at the top left and choose Copy from: iTunes. You should see the list of your documents. Choose the one you want to import.

You can also export Pages documents this way through iTunes. With the document open, tap the wrench icon and choose Share and Print, then Send to iTunes. The next time you connect to iTunes and look at the File Sharing section they will be there. Just drag them to the desktop or a folder.

These documents will remain in this area until you go to iTunes and delete them. A strange quirk that actually makes for a decent substitute templates.

Hi TPoet, I have a similar question: I have CloudOn app installed in my ipad and need to transfer my MS documents from my mac to ipad (or the dropbox with CloudOn). I follow your instructions ... get to File Sharing section ... Apps list and there are only Adobe Reader and Google Earth, no CloudOn or other apps ...

So how do I open, from CloudOn in my ipad, MS doc which are stored in my mac? Or how do I transfer MS doc from my mac to my ipad (or CloudOn's dropbox)? Thanks for help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
CloudOn is a virtual desktop app. None of the files or programs you use in it are actually on the iPad. They are stored and run on the server that hosts the virtual desktop. There is no direct link between it and storage space on the iPad. That is why you can not use the iTunes File Sharing feature. File Sharing only works with local file storage; if that app supports it.

Instead you need to keep all the files you use for CloudOn in DropBox, or one of the other cloud files services it supports. You can also use the DropBox app on the iPad to copy files to/from DropBox. Most of the Office suite apps and many other's can also copy to/from DropBox. You'll have to use them to transfer files back and forth, indirectly.

fiat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, TPoet. I have CloudOn with associated dropbox acc on my ipad, but I didn't know I need to install dropbox on my mac to trasfer/store files from. Now I installed DB on my mac and it's much easier to "drop" files to my DB folder than use itunes file sharing. My real need on ipad is just to read MS office documents, no editing there (do it on my mac). Now I see it's pretty slow to open a file in CloudOn (maybe because of it's full editing capability). So I do a bit search and found some free doc reader apps and decided to use Everreader Pro. It uses file sharing to transfer files and it opens file really fast and neat.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good to know. Thanks for the update.

Because everything CloudOn does is on a remote server it's speed can be affected both the load (how many users) and your internet connection; especially a slow internet connection.

Most reactions

Latest posts