How dependent is jailbroken iPad to a PC computer?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by lvnatic, Mar 15, 2013.

1. lvnatic

lvnatic iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am planning to sell my laptop and use an ipad 4 as my only entertainment and productive device, but I also plan to jailbreak. I understand that it takes a computer to do that, so it wouldn't be a problem to use my gf's laptop when I need that, but what about the future? Can I just download apps directly to it and install them? What about themes and other tweaks?
    On android for example I always rooted my devices and I only needed a PC when I did the actual root method, from then on I could just download different OS versions or kernels directly on my phone and then booted into recovery and apply (flash) them, didn't need a PC at all.
  2. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    You are no more bound to a PC once jailbroken then you are with a stock iPad.

The only exception is you cannot upgrade iOS OTA once jailbroken. You will need access to a pc to restore via iTunes if you want to upgrade, but if you have occasional access to your GFs laptop that should suffice.
  3. Danielisatwar

Danielisatwar iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The computer you jailbreak you idevice doesn't matter. You download the jailbreak software and connect the iPad via USB and the software will read it. Make a few clicks and you're done