What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can you make email groups w the Ipad?

Darkrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rather than sending out multiple emails to different people who are part of the same group?

Thanks for the help,

Tom.

OP
D

Darkrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just looked below and found the other groups threat.

Sorry.

The suggestions there aren't the easiest solutions so if anyone has any better ideas, they would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom.

OP
D

Darkrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just spoke w Apple customer service. The rep said that the ability of making groups will be added in the Nov 2010 OS update.

Great.

Now we just have to wait till Nov,

Tom.

Jkannry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never happened

os 4 does not have email groups to mail to

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Darkrider said:
Rather than sending out multiple emails to different people who are part of the same group?

Thanks for the help,

Tom.

I found 2 apps for a friend that needed to do the same. You can make as many groups as you wish. i can't remember the apps names but search for group mail in the app store. There is at least one that is free and works well enough for her.

Diane

Jkannry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not exactly

Ther are apps that let you email groups but from what I can tell you have to go in app to email. I need and I suspect others do ability to access groups within to field of email and not use an app to create email. If I'm wrong tell me the app and I'll buy it asap.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I mentioned one above and found it today. Mail to Groups Lite works fine. Its free. You set up the groups from within the app and when you choose the group it simply sets your To, CC, etc for you from the msil app.

Jkannry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Saying again

I want the app to do the following.
1.)I'm in email
2.)I click to field
3.)I access group from there

Going into contact or contact app is doing email backwards. It doesn't work in things like doodle etc.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want the app to do the following.
1.)I'm in email
2.)I click to field
3.)I access group from there

Going into contact or contact app is doing email backwards. It doesn't work in things like doodle etc.

You can 'sort of' do this, but probably not what you really want.
If you're in iPad mail and you, say, start a new email, you'll see - in the 'To' field a '+' sign at the far right hand side of the box. If you tap that sign it brings up your contacts list. If you have Groups in your contact list then, depending on what you did last time you were in Contacts, you'll either be in the Groups section of Contacts or, if you're not, you'll see a box at the top left hand side with 'Groups' on it. Click that and you're in the Groups section of your Contact list.

If you *were* already in the Groups section, you'll see all your Groups listed as well as an 'All Contacts' option, that takes you back out of Groups.

So, at this point, you're feeling really excited because you think 'Great', the Groups problem has been solved. Here I am with all my Groups listed, what more could I want? OK - so say you have a Group called Family. You select family and, yes, it's still looking good because it takes you through to your Family group and there are all the members of your family listed and......and....

Now comes the bad part, because you have to select the members of your Family group *one at a time* (at least I've not found a way to select them all at once). So you select, say 'Mum' and it enters Mum's email address into the 'To' field. Then you have to press that '+' sign again and up pops your Contacts list and, well, at least you're still in Groups and in the Family Group too and then you select 'Dad', and Dad's email address gets entered into the 'To' field, and then you press that '+' sign again and....well, you get the picture.

Not sure why you can't simply select all the members of the group at once. It's not *too* bad if the group is relatively small - say Family - but if it's a big mailing list for a Club or similar this would never work.

Plus, again as far as I'm aware, there's no way to *create* Groups in the iPad Contacts book. It imports Groups OK from your PC via iTunes or MobileMe and it displays them, but I know of no way to create a new Group.

So, we seem to be tantalisingly close but just not quite there. As other Forum members have pointed out, there are a number of third-party apps out there that fix this problem but, as other members have responded, they don't really offer the solution that many people are really looking for - i.e. the ability to select a Group from within the iPad's built-in Mail app without having to leave the Mail app and go to a third party app. OK - I'm probably being picky and, I guess, if I really *did* have a big group that I needed to email (rather than just my family) I'd give up my objections to using a third party app pretty quickly.

So, what we need (I think) is (a) the ability to create, edit and save Groups from within the iPad Contacts app (it's a pain to have to return to the PC and create a Group there and then sync it with your iPad) and (b) the ability to select all members of a group at once when you're in Mail and in Contacts.

Sorry to have rambled on so much....

Tim
Scotland

Jkannry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are not rambling

You get it. Good work.

No you wouldn't want the third party app regardless of length of list. Here's two scenarios. Documents to go sends documents by opening ipad email. How do you get to your app groups. Doodle for iPhone does same. Any app that uses ipad email renders app groups useless.

Last edited:

SolublePeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.solubleapps.com
I have an app for that

Thats timely!

My new app called MailShot (available now on the App Store) is the first to do exactly what you are describing, Its free at the moment, but with an upgrade will let you email anything up to 50 groups of 50 people at once.

Deatils and a video on MailShot | Soluble Apps, or try it in the App Store.

rubyheart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find it incredible that Apple overlooked something so basic as creating mailing lists from the Address Book. :rolleyes:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a group that I email regularly, so I just created a keyboard shortcut for the group. I saved the keyboard shortcut as two characters, so all I do is type two characters -- aa in this case -- and my group's addresses appear.

Most reactions

Latest posts