What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I hold the dock down?

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the docks I ordered arrived today. I like it a lot. It is easy to set the iPad in to it and it holds the unit at a nice angle.

I do have one issue with the dock though. Every time I want to remove my iPad from it, I have to use one hand to hold it down or the iPad won't separate from the dock.

I plan on keeping one of my docks on top of my Mac Pro. Anybody have any suggestions on how I can hold the dock in place without glueing it? I don't want to do any permanent damage to the Mac Pro so no drilling holes ;). The best I can come up with is velcro but I am afraid that might make the setup unstable/wobbly.

Thanks for any suggestions :).

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Double-sided sticky tape was the first thing that popped in my head.

Will a magnet stick to the top of the Mac Pro? If so and if you can find a flat, square magnet you can glue the dock to the magnet.

OP
wot_fan

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Double-sided tape might work if it is good quality. I'll have to see what I can find. Thanks.

As far as magnets go, I am not too comfortable bringing magnets close to my machine ;). Besides it is aluminum.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It might be cool to get some type of suction cup apparatus for it. Perhaps someone can make a modification for the base that includes them already somehow.

OP
wot_fan

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well so far my best options are tape or a suction cup setup (thanks JohnnyApple). I think the tape would be a short term solution. I have looked around for something suction cup based, without any luck. The plan was to put a suction cup on each side of the dock with a bar or something between them to hold the dock down. I'll keep looking.

The more I look at the dock, the more I think adding weight to the top of it is the answer. There is a nice flat section that I could mount something heavy to. The problem is I haven't thought of anything small and heavy enough to do the job. Anybody have any ideas.

Thanks again.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should use lead, you can find larger pieces of lead used to melt down for fishing equipment and paint it white. Try Cabella's or Bass Pro-they sell lead in larger squares pieces not sure if they will sell in smaller quantities. That will give you the most density for the size without it overtaking the dock. Just be sure to paint it with primer and then a couple of good coats of quality paint.

OP
wot_fan

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks brhon :)

I did a search for lead weights and I think I found something even better - Tungsten Pinewood Derby weights. Since tungsten is 1.7 times heaver than lead, I won't need as much. Now I just have to figure out how much to order.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depending on how much effort you want to put into this, there's a material called Regabond-S that would be perfect for what you want. It's a high tech micro suction non-adhesive material that holds down the touchstone charger for my palm pre.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is a good idea-but looks expensive. Can you buy it in small sections/quantities?

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is a good idea-but looks expensive. Can you buy it in small sections/quantities?

Yea that's the problem it doesn't seem to be out in the retail market yet. But if someone were to buy a large amount and pre cut it to fit these docks they could probably make some money. Maybe ipadone would be interested since he is a manufacturer?

Most reactions