What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home theatre

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Been adding to my home theatre system, and am getting to the point where I can (maybe) answer questions relating to the various tricks I've discovered.

Central to the system is AppleTV, which I've found invaluable. It is the ONLY way to use the video features of AirPlay, and is amazingly cheap, considering its capabilities.

My AV amplifier/receiver is a Yamaha Aventage RX-A730 wired to 9 speakers and 2 subwoofers. The receiver is a 7.1(+1) system. This means that only 7 of the speakers are in use at any one time, and the subwoofer output is simply doubled. Is is NOT a true 7.2 system with left and right channels for LFE. Yamaha RX-A and RX-V receivers all support AirPlay, so they are ideal for Apple users.

My iPad 2 is mainly used these days to control the receiver, using Yamaha's control app which may be found at https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/av-controller/id418512183?mt=8

I use my iPhone 5S to control iTunes using the Remote app from Apple: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/remote/id284417350?mt=8

Other hardware connected to the system: MacBookPro, Windows PC, Apple Airport Extreme (2 of), Apple Airport Express, Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus, Panasonic BDT360 3D BluRay, Philips DVD player and a JVC XL-F76 CD multi changer that I rescued from the landfill.

I use a Monster Power HDP2500 to distribute power and protect everything from surges. This model has 10 outlets on the back and one more on the front, as well as a couple of USB power outlets.

Video is handled by an LG 55UB8500 3D 4K TV, and a ViewSonic CDE3201LED monitor and, of course, the retina display on my MBP.

Most reactions

Latest posts