What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi from a new member

pfphotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I'm within days of buying an iPad and am looking at cases. I joined this group to find out if magnetic closures on cases could interfere with the iPad but I'm glad to be a member and am sure there'll may much more to discuss.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, lots of photogs in here.

Shouldn't think a latch magnet would be a problem, think of where it's placed in relation to the main body where the flash memory is stored.
Believe someone markets a magnetic holder for the iPad which would have to be far stronger and more central to the case.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It would probably interfere with the compass if you have a 3G GPS model, but other than that not a problem.

The compass is primarily useful in navigation apps and the occasional educational or enhanced reality app like StarWalk. Those apps will try and adjust the information they display depending on which way you point the iPad.

So, if you are getting a 3G model I'd hold off on the magnetic clasp, at least until you have your iPad in hand, or you can confirm by testing or other users that the specific case you want doesn't interfere.

OP
P

pfphotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, lots of photogs in here.

Shouldn't think a latch magnet would be a problem, think of where it's placed in relation to the main body where the flash memory is stored.
Believe someone markets a magnetic holder for the iPad which would have to be far stronger and more central to the case.
Thank you very much for your reply and info. That was very helpful and reassuring!

OP
P

pfphotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would probably interfere with the compass if you have a 3G GPS model, but other than that not a problem.

The compass is primarily useful in navigation apps and the occasional educational or enhanced reality app like StarWalk. Those apps will try and adjust the information they display depending on which way you point the iPad.

So, if you are getting a 3G model I'd hold off on the magnetic clasp, at least until you have your iPad in hand, or you can confirm by testing or other users that the specific case you want doesn't interfere.
Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I am getting a 3GS so I'll definitely test it out. I probably won't use the GPS feature but will check it all out. Much appreciated!

Most reactions

Latest posts