What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

here the one question for you gentlemen and ladies here on this forum

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) I would like a USB connection instead of the connector they have. Way have a non standard connector?

2) Built in SD card reader

3) Keyboard arrow keys (software fix, should be relatively easy)

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I said earlier, USB would ply work if the OS supports drag and drop. It doesn't so it would do no good.
I'm not drinking Jobs kool-aid. . . .
You sure?

I am pretty sure D&D type things only rely on how the developers write their products. And why write in D&D if users can't use it.
The fact that there is not D&D, does NOT mean the OS doesn't have the capability.
(edited to add: or that it couldn't. And that was the question in this thread... What capability would you LIKE to see?)

A friend has jailbroken his iPad, and I have seen him doing a D&D action or two.

I myself do D&D on the iPad every couple of days,
. . . when I rearrange my App icons .

Last edited:

Joscon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
android.bldg-automation.com
File management.

I have stuff.
I have it on my hard drive.
I want it on my iPad and iPhone.

Why can't I simply drag and drop without using silly iTunes or resorting to some sort of slow Wi-Fi transfer??

That's an OS issue not a USB issue. Even with usb you stil couldnt drag and drop

You can email, sync wih itunes or use all kinds of apps for cloud computing. That makes a heck of a lot more sense then using some silly dongle that can break or be lost. And you can access it on any web enabled device with cloud computing.

For people who buy new technology some of us are stuck in the past.

Never actually thought of it this way, but you are kinda right!

giedre11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would love to see a much bigger "hard drive". I am a space hog and just recently got a new desktop with a two terabyte hard drive. Ifind that one of my biggest problems is running out of room!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would love to see a much bigger "hard drive". I am a space hog and just recently got a new desktop with a two terabyte hard drive. Ifind that one of my biggest problems is running out of room!

Your iPad is running out of room?? How? I keep trying to fill it up, I have over 100 apps, thousands of songs, thousands of pictures, and I still have 50GB left!! Are you putting movies on the device? You should try air video.

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i going to come back here in a couple of mins to answer the one person comment about space on the unit ..for i really going to see how much space my programs are takeing up on the harddrive

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 32G is about 1/3 full and I am going to try and keep it below 50-75%. I expect that there will be means to add memory later. If not, I am not a memory hog and can always relocate some items.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 32G is about 1/3 full and I am going to try and keep it below 50-75%. I expect that there will be means to add memory later. If not, I am not a memory hog and can always relocate some items.

Why would you keep it below 50-75%? It's not windows...its not going to behave differently if its full. It has an allocated 1GB for system memory...how much storage you have left will not hinder performance.

I'm trying to fill mine up....but its damn near impossible!!

Screen%20shot%202010-05-15%20at%2012.33.24%20PM.png

Last edited:

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I try to keep about 10gb free on mine. It's a 64gb unit. If it looks too full I'll pull a movie or a couple of videos. I havent real anywhere that it needs so much memory free like a PC although that may be the case.

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
here is what my says.

audio-10.gb in the diff play list i made up from the desktop mp3 music file
video-o-
photos-240.mbs === for i have photos of the grandkids and my kids on it along with photos of my girlfriend in photo section ..and it about 100 photos total
apps--9.gb of applications-x-dvd library--book-library- pantry app - games applications with the diff list of shopping items and other check list i keep on the ipad for travel and daily reminders list ..

so my free space is over 44.76 gbs of free space left over in the harddrive .. i had thought i had use more space than i did in the unit.. plus i just rounded up the numbers on what the system total to keep it even number

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why would you keep it below 50-75%? It's not windows...its not going to behave differently if its full. It has an allocated 1GB for system memory...how much storage you have left will not hinder performance.

I'm trying to fill mine up....but its damn near impossible!!

Screen%20shot%202010-05-15%20at%2012.33.24%20PM.png

I may have the need to download a couple movies or other items on the road, so I like to have some free room. If MobileMe becomes a free service or if I have more need for it I may go for it. I am hoping that the iPad will support some type of high speed external memory eventually.

lifevicarious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I said earlier, USB would ply work if the OS supports drag and drop. It doesn't so it would do no good.
I'm not drinking Jobs kool-aid. . . .
You sure?

I am pretty sure D&D type things only rely on how the developers write their products. And why write in D&D if users can't use it.
The fact that there is not D&D, does NOT mean the OS doesn't have the capability.
(edited to add: or that it couldn't. And that was the question in this thread... What capability would you LIKE to see?)

A friend has jailbroken his iPad, and I have seen him doing a D&D action or two.

I myself do D&D on the iPad every couple of days,

. . . when I rearrange my App icons .

Dragging and dropping an icon from one screen to the next is not drag and drop as typically defined. Drag and drop is grabbing files and dragging them from one directory to the next. There is no drag and drop file management in iphone os. Jailbreaks don't count. If you want functionality not offered by apple, jailbreak, it won't bother me.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
was buying the ipad the right thing to do for you and how you use the ipad ..so what is the one thing in the next model of the ipad would you like to see in the unit ..

my only problems with the ipad is in the following area..

1-bigger flash stowage i really wished they had bought it out in 120.gb sized drive ..for i loaded a lot of music onto the unit and it ate up space and i took a lot back off and just kept the play list i really like..for i right now with everthing that iam have on it around 26.gbs on the 64.gb hard drive ..

For the 64GB + 3G I would like an Apple $829.00 rebate check.

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want functionality not offered by apple, jailbreak, it won't bother me.
Now I see the problem. You missed the whole point of this thread.

The "one question" in the thread title? . . . The thing we are discussing here? is ... :
...so what is the one thing in the next model of the ipad would you like to see in the unit?
you see, the thing is, ANYTHING that anyone could answer would, by definition, be ... functionality not currently offered by Apple. So several people answered with external drive capability, and dragging and dropping file management.

Why do they want this? Because they do.
It is a perfectly valid answer to THE question.

. . . Drag and drop is grabbing files and dragging them from one directory to the next. There is no drag and drop file management in iphone os. Jailbreaks don't count. If you want functionality not offered by apple, jailbreak, it won't bother me.
and THERE is the other point...

• There IS drag and drop file management in the iPad OS.
    We are just unable to get to it.
  • Of course Jailbreaks count! It proves that D&D already exists in the OS.
  • The D&D that the jailbreakers have been able to do, were NOT added to the OS. They just used what is already there in the OS.
    They just couldn't get to them until they jailbroke.
We may not have any desire to jailbreak. I know I don't.

Asking and answering "What else would you like to see?" is not wrong.
But it IS what this thread is about.

Most reactions

Latest posts