1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

help!

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by cags, May 7, 2011.

1. cags

cags iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Firstly i'd like to apologise for my total lack of knowleage n technical termanology(and spellin) :eek:
    ibought an ipad last month for my daughters birthday and signed up with a 10G allowance. my ipad usage in the general settings say i've used 8G in total. My supplier says i'm £25 over my 10G allowance!! how can the 2 numbers be different.
    i'm cluless about technology but this doesn't seem right. can any1 please explain, in simple terms:confused: what i'm missing??? i'm totally confused :(
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    The iPad reports the net data usage and the service provider reports the gross usage. The data used by your iPad gets 'wrapped' up in a 'package' called a data packet. This 'wrapping' is essential for its reliable transport across the network. Just as in the case when you send a parcel, you put it in a box and wrap it up, so does your iPad wrap up the data. When you take your parcel to the Post Office to send, you expect to pay for both the contents and the wrapping to be sent, its the same with your data. Your service provider charges for both the contents of the data packet and the 'wrapping'. The service provider has little control over how the iPad 'wraps' the data, so you cannot really blame them for charging you the full cost. You may ask why therefore the iPad doesn't report the 'wrapping' as well. It's quite difficult to explain - but it is difficult. So there's no real discrepancy here. I know that's not very helpful....:(

Tim
  3. cags

cags iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you Tim :)
    Thought a wiz goin mad there.