What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help with ipad sim

lubu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok theres this
T-Mobile 3G Mobile Hotspot

at the pawn shop and it has a sim slot and i tried to put my ipad sim in it and it looks like it fits but it just wont go it and the little pic shows the same pic and shape as the ipad sim and i was woundering will my ipad sim data plan work on a this 3g mobile hotspot thing since im on that unlimited data plan

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lubu said:
ok theres this
T-Mobile 3G Mobile Hotspot

at the pawn shop and it has a sim slot and i tried to put my ipad sim in it and it looks like it fits but it just wont go it and the little pic shows the same pic and shape as the ipad sim and i was woundering will my ipad sim data plan work on a this 3g mobile hotspot thing since im on that unlimited data plan

Because it's a att sim trying to work in a tmobile device. Not compatible.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The T-Mobile device takes a regular SIM. The iPad uses a microSIM. They are not the same size.

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good point. If you buy a SIM cutter they supply an adaptor with it that enables you to put a microSIM into the adaptor, which is regular SIM size.

However, there's a possibility that it might not work. Some service providers lock their SIMs to the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity - a sort of electronic serial number) so that a SIM can't be transferred between devices. It all depends on the sort of contract you've got with your iPad SIM.

Tim

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hope this is the correct thread.
My iPad 1 is SIM enabled. However I didn't take the 3G SIM on offer as I wanted to shop around for a different network SIM.

My broadband is O2. I was thinking getting an O2 SIM. Before I take the plunge, I would appreciate comments on suitable networks for iPad.

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I would make a couple of points...

Obviously check the coverage in the area that you're most likely to be using the iPad in.

Does the service provider have 3G coverage in that area or is it legacy 2G - in which case you'll be stuck with EDGE or GPRS and these are generally too low bandwidth for satisfactory web surfing. I'm on '3' which is all 3G because they missed out on the initial round of 2G licences and only have a 3G licence. It's not possible for them to offer 2G on a 3G licence, so that's why their network is all 3G. So great download speeds wherever you are. Plus they have an 'all you can eat' tariff.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts