What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help teaching a kid to build iPad apps using windows

normalham2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First off, thanks for taking the time to read, it’s an unusual situation, hoping the community can point me in the right direction. I’m in a big brother/little brother program, and my 12 year old little brother has an interest in programming and would like build applications for his iPad. Unfortunately he does not have a mac, only a computer running Windows.

He downloaded the free version of visual studio and was able to create some simple programs, so he’s capable and I’m a professional programmer so I’m willing to learn as well and help him out with anything though I don’t have a mac either. We’re not looking to submit anything to the App Store, just create some cool stuff and get it on his iPad. Though down the road if he thinks he might be able to sell something, that could motivate him to learn.

Do you have any recommendations on how to proceed? I did some Google searching but it’s tough to find development tool prices and with so many options I’m not sure.

Thank you for any recommendations,
Todd

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Step #1 must purchase a Mac. To go the cheapest route, get a used Mac Mini I think they are in the $500 price range for a brand new low end model (at least they used to be) and you can find a used one for a little less.

Problem #2 You can create apps for free on a Mac, however you can only test them within the iphone/iPad emulator app on the Mac. In order to load anything on a device, even if you are not planning to submit it tot he app store, you have to sign up as a developer for $99. This will give you the ability to test your apps on your own iPhone/iPad devices and also submit to app store if you ever wanted to.

Other option would be to get him a windows phone, and program for that.

Last edited:

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are some alternatives to getting a Mac, here are some more advanced ones.
1. Jailbreak the iPad and use some Toolchain or something to develop.
2. Hackintosh the PC.
Depending on your configuration, this might not be possible.

Sent from K48

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
There are some alternatives to getting a Mac, here are some more advanced ones.
1. Jailbreak the iPad and use some Toolchain or something to develop.
2. Hackintosh the PC.
Depending on your configuration, this might not be possible.

Sent from K48
Hackintosh while not exactly legal is a world of problems and incompatibilities.

When teaching a kid that's starting out, throwing a bunch of possible problems,issues,and legal concerns are not the best thing. An added level of unnecessary frustration would only discourage them.

Last edited:

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MikesTooLz said:
Hackintosh while not exactly legal is a world of problems and incompatibilities.

When teaching a kid that's starting out, throwing a bunch of possible problems,issues,and legal concerns are not the best thing. An added level of unnecessary frustration would only discourage them.

I'm sorry. Please follow his advice, instead of mine.

Sent from K48

Docvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MikesTooLz said:
Step #1 must purchase a Mac. To go the cheapest route, get a used Mac Mini I think they are in the $500 price range for a brand new low end model (at least they used to be) and you can find a used one for a little less.

Problem #2 You can create apps for free on a Mac, however you can only test them within the iphone/iPad emulator app on the Mac. In order to load anything on a device, even if you are not planning to submit it tot he app store, you have to sign up as a developer for $99. This will give you the ability to test your apps on your own iPhone/iPad devices and also submit to app store if you ever wanted to.

Other option would be to get him a windows phone, and program for that.

Very useful advice. So you're saying there's no way to develop an App on your own iPad w/o signing up as a developer? What do you get from Apple for you $99?

nitng

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are many DIY apps builder online which helps to make an apps free without knowing coding.Well I have created few apps with DIY Infinite monkeys mobile apps builder.

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is an awesome app coming up soon called AutoApp (visit Autoapp dot cc) It is half chinese half english web site for now, but it will change. With this iPad application you can make your own Apps easily by using your device only! I tried the concept, and the way it works. Really impressive, easy and fast. Even a baby can use it.

i couldnt find such website :ipad-front:

Most reactions

Latest posts