What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed with headphone jack

Jguigue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you.
Your grasshopper
J
Now can you tell me how to get a broken jack out of my micrphone jack? No sharp edges, tried small tweezers ..... Ack! Help,is needed
Thanking you in advance.
J

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If there's nothing to grab on to, you might want to take it in to the Genius Bar at the nearest Apple Store or got to the nearest authorized repair centre to have the broken plug removed from the socket. You certainly don't want to damage anything else in trying to remove the broken plug.

BTW, I've moved your post to its own thread in the iPad Help Forum where it will receive more attention.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Now can you tell me how to get a broken jack out of my micrphone jack? No sharp edges, tried small tweezers ..... Ack! Help,is needed
Thanking you in advance.

Well, I could say w/ difficulty - ;) A qualified repair service has already been advised - but this has come up several times in forums I frequent and one suggestion is to use superglue - it's going to be messy, may not help, and do more harm than go - but, if interested, google 'removing broken jack from an iPad' for hits and videos.

Also, visit iFixit to see if there might be a guide to at least 'uncover' the jack location? Good luck - Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Perhaps a very small wood screw. something a bit smaller than the inside diameter of the where the cable goes into the jack. Pretty much the same principle as a screw removal tool. If you can't work the screw in, then some very careful work with a small drill bit might help. User your hand, not the power tool, and hold the phone sideways or tilted in such a way that debris won't fall back into the iPhone.

The super glue might work too (very small dab in the end of a needle shoved into the open part of the jack), but it has less potential for disaster.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I'm an amateur woodworker and doubt that a standard wood screw would penetrate a piece of left over steel plug, but w/ a smaller carbide drill, a hole might be made into the broken off tip and a rod (metal or wood) w/ a super glue inserted into the hole - probably a better solution that trying a face-to-face super glue up - but theses are all just suggestions and not easy solutions. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I'm an amateur woodworker and doubt that a standard wood screw would penetrate a piece of left over steel plug, but w/ a smaller carbide drill, a hole might be made into the broken off tip and a rod (metal or wood) w/ a super glue inserted into the hole - probably a better solution that trying a face-to-face super glue up - but theses are all just suggestions and not easy solutions. Dave :)

The top of the plug should be filled with plastic and a bit of wire. It's essentially hollow. I'm thinking the screw, if the right size, would purchase there giving you something to grip and pull on. It would need to be an unusually small screw.

Of course it's really hard to tell what might work without seeing the problem first hand. If the hole was crimped shut by the break, then the chances of it working would go down considerably.

Most reactions

Latest posts