What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! My Ipad is dead!

adjeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just registered on this form and really in need of advice! Ok, I'll try to keep it short. My 'lovely' kids decided to try and guess my passcode on my Ipad, incorrectly inputting it 6 times. This resulted in my Ipad needing to be synched with Itunes to unlock. I did this, however it was a new laptopn and had never previously been synched with my Ipad. This resulting in Itunes telling me the Ipad would need to be restored. Having to other choice, I went ahead with the restore however after the progress bar moves about an inch, it freezes and does not move. I left it for 2 hours and no movement at all. I was told to try again and put the Ipad into DFU mode. I did this and the exact same thing happened. I even tried downloading the Ipad firmware, putting the Ipad into DFU again and pressing Shift and Restore together to manually install the firmware but again the progress bar just freezes. The shop I bought it from have said they will take it and check it and replace if necessary but the process will take about 2 weeks and they can't guarantee a pick up or delivery time (So i'd have to stay in all day; not Possible). Is there any work around for me? Anything I can try that I haven't already! I'm currently stuck with a £480 paperweight, when I'd much rather have my sexy Ipad back!

OP
A

adjeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reading this back, I apologize for the terrible grammar!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your troubles!

You seem to be doing all the right things, as outlined in our tutorial here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html (step 2 is irrelevant for you if you have a new laptop, so don't worry about that one).

The problem you are having sounds as though it is an issue with the PC. Try another USB Port, make sure it is one of the direct ones (don't use a hub). Make sure you are using the genuine iPad Cable, not a cheap 3rd party one or an old iPhone one (not all cables are the same, believe it or not).

Finally, and probably most importantly, turn off or quit all security / firewall / anti-virus / malware software on your laptop. Quit everything you can before trying the restore again.

Last option is try someone else's PC. They only need iTunes installed.

If you still can't get it restored, you can take it into ANY Apple store and they will restore it for you free of charge, even if you did not buy it from them. Make a genius bar appointment at your nearest store and it takes about 30 mins. If they can't restore it, at least you will know it is a hardare problem.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts