What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Missouri.... newbie here

jacio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good evening! I am in the market for a new computer. My laptop is running on it's last good tire so to speak and I am interested in purchasing an IPad. I I luv my IPhone and the perks from it so an IPAD is my choice. I received a Surface RT last year as a gift and am disappointed in what I cannot do on it.What are the recommendations for purchasing an IPad. Our state is having it's TAX FREE weekend this weekend and we will be purchasing something. Thank you in advance. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are considering the iPad as a laptop/desktop replacement, you will probably want the larger iPad Air. Don't under buy, thinking you can get by on 16 GB of RAM. You're probably going to be using this device for a couple years, so leave yourself some room to grow.

If you think you are going to carry it around a lot then give the wi-fi + cellular models some serious consideration. It's not just about having an internet connection everywhere. That GPS is really handy and only comes with the cellular models.

Whether the iPad will do everything you are used to doing on the laptop is going to depend on what you did on the laptop. There are some tasks that are difficult or impossible on the iPad. You'll also spend quite a bit of time figuring out how to do things differently. iPad's do not have a general purpose file structure like a desktop. Instead of having a bunch of files and then opening in something, You'll find yourself picking apps to keep your files in.

Basically, if you can do it on your iPhone you can do it on the iPad, only with a larger, easier to use, interface.

This will change to some extent with iOS 8, due out this fall; but it still won't be exactly like a laptop or desktop.

OP
J

jacio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the great info. I have been looking at a 16 GB and did not know about enough room. Our daughter and son in law ( our tech support!) have the 32 GB and I will definitely check on an Air Model also. Again thank you!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

The iPad Air is the current full sized iPad; available in a variety of models ranging from 16 to 128 GB, with or without cellular. Unless you can't afford it I recommend buying a current iPad model. It will remain useful longer.

If you are not in a hurry, you might want to wait until late fall, when Apple will probably release a newer model. If you are in a hurry, don't worry about it too much. The iPad Air is an excellent device.

OP
J

jacio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you again. I am reading Kim Komando's review right now and it is the same info you provided . I don't know how long my laptop is going to last. It has lines going down the screen and the screen does not always come on. I have to giggle it to come on. Kind of like hitting the side of the TV when I was a child to get it to work. Showing my age here! Thank you again!

Most reactions

Latest posts