What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Central Kentucky

studio246

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm Steve - a Creative Director at a Central Kentucky ad agency. Semi-pro musician too, and am looking forward to using iPad as
1) a songwriting notepad and live performance tool (with GarageBand)
2) a quick storyboarding tool for TV spots, and a way to make quick, goofy promo videos of my band (with iMovie)

My first question (if we're allowed to do that in our first post) is about App Store purchasing procedures.

I'm thinking of purchasing all my new apps via my desktop Mac G5's iTunes account, then syncing that with iPad 2 (as opposed to purchasing them on the iPad itself). I suppose the apps would sync either way, in case I lose iPad data, but somehow I have the feeling it's safer to download to desktop, then sync.

Is there any advantage to doing it that way?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

It is completely irrelevant whether apps are downloaded directly on the iPad or through syncing with iTunes. Whenever the iPad is connected to iTunes, all purchased apps will be synced both ways, so that the iPad and iTunes both have the a copy of all apps. However, as you can redownload apps free of charge as often as you want, this is not of much importance.

Something to keep in mind is that if you are using the 3G connection, then apps can only be downloaded if they are under 20MB. For larger app downloads the iPad needs to be connected to a wifi network.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm Steve - a Creative Director at a Central Kentucky ad agency. Semi-pro musician too, and am looking forward to using iPad as
1) a songwriting notepad and live performance tool (with GarageBand)
2) a quick storyboarding tool for TV spots, and a way to make quick, goofy promo videos of my band (with iMovie)

My first question (if we're allowed to do that in our first post) is about App Store purchasing procedures.

I'm thinking of purchasing all my new apps via my desktop Mac G5's iTunes account, then syncing that with iPad 2 (as opposed to purchasing them on the iPad itself). I suppose the apps would sync either way, in case I lose iPad data, but somehow I have the feeling it's safer to download to desktop, then sync.

Is there any advantage to doing it that way?

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

In response to your question about apps - either way is fine. There's no particular advantage to one or the other (though I'm sure some Forum members will not agree). One thing's for sure, though, even if you 'lost' all the apps on your iPad you can download them again at no cost from the App Store; it 'remembers' all your app purchases and allows you to download again after logging in using your iTunes account.

Obviously synch'ing with your desktop brings the added advantage that all your music and movies are also saved and, as far as I know, these cannot be downloaded again - though I stand ready to be corrected.

I tend to download apps direct to the iPad because I'm often out of the office, need something and can't wait until I get back to do the download to my PC and then sync.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts