What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headrest Mount

iain1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This might've been covered before, but here goes.

I spent an hour or so in the garage on Saturday doing a little 'make' for my SEAT Altea.

Offcuts of wood and four cheap cupboard door knobs from B&Q

AlteaiPadheadrestholder_001.jpg

AlteaiPadheadrestholder_002.jpg

AlteaiPadheadrestholder_004.jpg

AlteaiPadheadrestholder_006.jpg

Voila! Ghetto iPad headrest mount (copyright and intellectual property of iPadForums.net member iain1970) so my toddler can watch his favourite CBeebies programmes on longer journeys.

AlteaiPadheadrestholder_009.jpg

Total cost £0.96 plus the scrap I already had (I somehow managed to get two of the knobs for free going through the painful self-scan checkout). I've painted the whole thing black using some old enamel paint and a 1.5" brush. Overall, it looks like a piece of crap, but it works and wasn't £70 for a Brodit one.

Last edited:

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This might've been covered before, but here goes.

I spent an hour or so in the garage on Saturday doing a little 'make' for my SEAT Altea.

Offcuts of wood and four cheap cupboard door knobs from B&Q

Voila! Ghetto iPad headrest mount so my toddler can watch his favourite CBeebies programmes on longer journeys.

AlteaiPadheadrestholder_009.jpg

Total cost £0.96 plus the scrap I already had (I somehow managed to get two of the knobs for free going through the painful self-scan checkout). I've painted the whole thing black using some old enamel paint and a 1.5" brush. Overall, it looks like a piece of crap, but it works and wasn't £70 for a Brodit one.

Good job … maybe the wood will scratch the back of the iPad ..

Last edited:

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm wondering about a bit of black velour to tidy it up, but then costs will spiral!

I think Velour or a old beach towel will do the job this with a slim sponge or the material they have in the Fedex envelop for made it more soft and your Ipad will be like at Home :D

OP
I

iain1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Spent an hour last night covering the headrest mount with some paper backed felty type stuff my wife had lying around in the craft supplies at work. I've not bothered myself with the edges and it needs a trim once the glue has dried out.

I gave the iPad a little try out in it on the kitchen table and the mount doubles as a handy stand too. Bonus! However, the top knobs need a little bit of a notch to clear the front edge of the iPad as it's a bit tight for depth now the felt is on.

Pics tonight I think once I've tidied the wooden wonder up.

Last edited:
OP
I

iain1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I assume that is an rhetorical and ironic question as the title of the thread should give a clue to this wonder product's use within the horseless carriage environment.

However, all is not lost, for the wonderous designer (me) has finished the thing and found the time to bodge together an interweb screen to show off it's utter amazingness.

iMarsh Industries Headrest Mount for iPad: Got an iPad and restless backseat passengers?

I bet someone from the Apple Store will be in contact right away. Them or someone from Apple's litigation department :p

ChIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok that looks so awesome and I love how it also stands up on its own, I am putting in my order now how much :)

OP
I

iain1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had the mount in the car for a couple of weeks now and so far so good. No rattles or bouncing, and my son is happy to while away long journeys watching his favourite pre-school TV programmes that I've recorded.

Only thing to work out now is how to discretely power the iPad and get the sound to the back seat so that we don't have to listen to it in the front. There's only so much Mr Tumble a man can take!

Most reactions

Latest posts