What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have You Got “iPad Shoulder�

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
ipad2-face-time-video.JPG

The Daily Telegraph newspaper reports today on a new type of injury that researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health have dubbed “iPad shoulder†or “iPad neck.†According to the report, millions of iPad users all over the world could be at risk of developing these ailments, because the way in which an iPad user holds the tablet down low forces them to look downwards too sharply, which increases pressure on their joints. The Harvard researchers studied the way in which 15 participants held an iPad, as well as a Motorola tablet. The volunteers were asked to hold the tablets in various different ways, including on their laps and on a table, as well as both in and out of a case. The researchers were then able to measure the users’ head and neck movements. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The results of the study were published in the journal Work, and showed that holding a tablet in your lap or not propping it up leads to greater head and neck bending, which in turn can cause neck and shoulder pain. However, the researchers also found that if you prop your iPad up at too steep an angle, that in turn could put too much strain on your wrists and hands. Study author Dr Jack Dennerlein said that further study is necessary in order to “clarify and complete the postural evaluation.â€[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source: iPad shoulder becomes the latest modern life affliction - Telegraph[/FONT]

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can hold it until I need glasses?

Give me a break. You can't turn around without someone being offended by something or some researcher finding something wrong with something. If you look for something broken you will always find it. If you look for what works well you will always find that as well. When will they start looking for what it right with the world more than what is not right with it?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a very realistic issue that I see everyday. Not just with the use of iPad, but also other mobile devices-ereaders. When you have patients come into your clinic complaining of radiating arm and neck pain after using devices for extended periods without breaks it makes sense. Our bodies cannot deal with long durations of activity without feeling the symptoms afterwards.

iMO, this article has nothing to do with bashing iPad. It has to do with identifying known musculoskeletal issues commonly observed with the use of devices.

DarkRavenMoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with SLH on this one. Anyone that doesn't have the common sense to take a break every now and then and just sit for hours on end with any device can't really then complain that any problems they have thereafter are anyone's fault other than their own.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some really don't realize that certain activities for long extended times and improper postural positions can lead to overuse injury. In my Profession, you would hope common sense is there, but in reality it is not. We are constantly providing education to our clients. There is evidence based research for other injuries such as the Nintendo, play station or even computer use. It is real. I will end with that.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Easy to get hunched shoulders, etc., with a lot of devices. My elbow was bothering me from too much iPad use. So now I try to drink more beer with that arm, so it's not frozen in position, lol.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
This is a very realistic issue that I see everyday. Not just with the use of iPad, but also other mobile devices-ereaders. When you have patients come into your clinic complaining of radiating arm and neck pain after using devices for extended periods without breaks it makes sense. Our bodies cannot deal with long durations of activity without feeling the symptoms afterwards.

iMO, this article has nothing to do with bashing iPad. It has to do with identifying known musculoskeletal issues commonly observed with the use of devices.

Agreed

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01Update From NYC using iPF

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Easy to get hunched shoulders, etc., with a lot of devices. My elbow was bothering me from too much iPad use. So now I try to drink more beer with that arm, so it's not frozen in position, lol.

I love your comment, Kaykaykay!! I am sure it is really helping you to recover!!

Agreed

Thank you, tlbaker!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01Update From NYC using iPF

AFAngryWarrior

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.verizonwireless.com
I've had my iPad for almost a year and for the last two months my right shoulder has been giving me a problem after extended iPad use while sitting with it in my lap. I never even thought it was because of my iPad use until my Dr. Had read the article and asked me how many hours a day I use my iPad while sitting. The problem is that when I'm home sitting the iPad isn't on a table or desk it's in my lap. So I can attest this is a real issue that should be paid attention to. As for litigation thats ridiculous. That's like suing my cable company for a repetitive stress injury for using my cable box remote too much. However this is America the land of the frivolous lawsuit so I'm sure some idiot will try suing for a settlement.

Bobo604

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sit on my a*** all day at work...does that mean I should stop working? Oh no, maybe I should limit my work to a few hours a day....somewhere in this thread, someone said...if you look for problems you'll find them. You know the old adage.....if it hurts when you press on it, then for Gods sake.....STOP PRESSING ON IT.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sit on my a*** all day at work...does that mean I should stop working? Oh no, maybe I should limit my work to a few hours a day....somewhere in this thread, someone said...if you look for problems you'll find them. You know the old adage.....if it hurts when you press on it, then for Gods sake.....STOP PRESSING ON IT.

No worries. With enough beer therapy, you feel no pain. Lol.

Most reactions

Latest posts