What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great-grandmother Uses iPad for Distraction During Knee Op

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
knee_op_granny.JPG

Even if you love using your iPad A LOT, do you think it would keep you from feeling too much pain during a two-hour knee operation? Well, that’s exactly what great-grandmother Janet Blank used an iPad for last week in Plymouth, UK, when she eschewed sedation in favour of using an iPad all the way through a total knee replacement operation. According to the report in the Daily Express, the great-grandmother did actually have spinal anaesthesia during the operation, during which she could hear everything that was going on, but she kept herself distracted and remained awake throughout by listening to BBC Devon’s Judi Spiers radio show on her iPad. “I’d advise it to anyone,” said Mrs Blank. Consultant anaesthetist Matt Oldman said of Mrs Blank’s choice not to be sedated during the op, “By avoiding sedating anaesthetic drugs during the procedure we can reduce side effects such as sickness, post-op drowsiness and confusion.”

The iPad used by Mrs Blank was on load from the South West Regional Anaesthesia Group.

Photo credit: Daily Express
Source: Great-grandmother distracts herself with an IPAD during two-hour knee operation | UK | News | Daily Express

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bravo for her! I guess there's no place where someone can't find a way to use an iPad.

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I used mystery books during labor with my first child. It would have been easier to have them all on an iPad.

Bobbi

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had the opportunity to be in the O.R. and watch Total Knee and Hip surgeries being performed! After seeing it, I think I would like to be completely out--especially if it's a complete replacement!

Go Great-Grandma for being awake through this procedure! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts