1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Great-grandmother Uses iPad for Distraction During Knee Op

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +100 / 0
    [​IMG]

Even if you love using your iPad A LOT, do you think it would keep you from feeling too much pain during a two-hour knee operation? Well, that’s exactly what great-grandmother Janet Blank used an iPad for last week in Plymouth, UK, when she eschewed sedation in favour of using an iPad all the way through a total knee replacement operation. According to the report in the Daily Express, the great-grandmother did actually have spinal anaesthesia during the operation, during which she could hear everything that was going on, but she kept herself distracted and remained awake throughout by listening to BBC Devon’s Judi Spiers radio show on her iPad. “I’d advise it to anyone,” said Mrs Blank. Consultant anaesthetist Matt Oldman said of Mrs Blank’s choice not to be sedated during the op, “By avoiding sedating anaesthetic drugs during the procedure we can reduce side effects such as sickness, post-op drowsiness and confusion.”

The iPad used by Mrs Blank was on load from the South West Regional Anaesthesia Group.

Photo credit: Daily Express
    Source: Great-grandmother distracts herself with an IPAD during two-hour knee operation | UK | News | Daily Express

2. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,037 / 1
    Bravo for her! I guess there's no place where someone can't find a way to use an iPad.
  3. Brontesmith

Brontesmith iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    this is really an act of valor ... wishes for get well soon
  4. Bennettb

Bennettb iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59 / 0
    I used mystery books during labor with my first child. It would have been easier to have them all on an iPad.

Bobbi
  5. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,000 / 0
    I've had the opportunity to be in the O.R. and watch Total Knee and Hip surgeries being performed! After seeing it, I think I would like to be completely out--especially if it's a complete replacement!

Go Great-Grandma for being awake through this procedure! :)