What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google history

Svrdhd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're talking about the 'Google Search' feature of Safari (or whatever your default search engine is) you simply:

1. Go to Settings App Icon
  2. Go to Safari tab
  3. clear browsing history

Should be right as rain again!

JoeShields

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried following the instructions. But the Safari/google search feature still has all previous searches. Just typing in one letter shows all previous searches using that letter. How can I clear out google history?

carols

iPF Noob
Reaction score
clear the cookies and also the cache... Not only the history...

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you should turn off the safari app (it should not run in the background) before clearing the three in settings.

Last edited:

JoeShields

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you turn off the Safari app?

Maybe the question should be ... How do you turn off the goggle suggestion when you type in a first letter in the goggle search box.

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
first, turn off safari by pressing the home button twice to show the apps in the background... safari should be amongst them... then press on the safari icon until it jiggles, then press the red circle at its upper left corner, that would turn it off.

then do as instructed by the earlier posters...
Go to Settings App Icon
Go to Safari tab
Clear history (no need to clear cookies or cache)

Last edited:

JoeShields

iPF Noob
Reaction score
88raymond said:
first, turn off safari by pressing the home button twice to show the apps in the background... safari should be amongst them... then press on the safari icon until it jiggles, then press the red circle at its upper left corner, that would turn it off.

then do as instructed by the earlier posters...
Go to Settings App Icon
Go to Safari tab
Clear history (no need to clear cookies or cache)

Hi 88Raymond.
Thank you for your very clear instructions. I followed them exactly, but I still have my problem ... which is, when using IPad/Safari/goggle search bar when I key in any letter, a drop down box lists words starting with this letter from previous search history.

I am coming to the opinion that this problem cannot be fixed. Goggle developers built in an autocomplete feature and did not provide any way to turn it off.

If anyone on this forum disagrees and knows how to turn off autocomplete, please enlighten me.

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that's surprising... it works with my ipad (i placed before and after screenshots) but not with yours. i hope you'll find a solution, my friend.

Attachments

• image-1396559552.png
    image-1396559552.png
    233.6 KB · Views: 268
  • image-3941618360.png
    image-3941618360.png
    158.1 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

Shellie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work at a counseling center for at-risk abuse survivors who use donated iPads to journal their interactions and experiences with their partners. Many of these partners continue to be a current source of abusive behaviors. These women face a very real danger should their partner see what has been typed into the search box. The frightening reality is that the iPad's Google app retains all that has ever been typed into that box, and regurgitates it as part of it's alphabetical instant search feature within the first one to two letters typed into its' search box thereafter! I was hoping that the glaring privacy issue of the iPad's inability and the Google apps' unwillingness to permanently clear past search history from it's instant search results would be addressed. Despite utilizing "clear history" when results drop down in the menu, and despite clearing cookies and cache, etc., from Google and Safari in the iPad settings icon, plus despite clearing bookmarks in the Safari app, finally despite meticulously following the instructions from the iPad help, this serious security breach remains. In fact, iPad help instructs to use the settings touch button (the sprocket icon located on a pull down screen located above the search box) to open the Google app menu. Within it is supposedly a button saying "save recent searches". When clicked it supposedly offers a yes and no choice. If no is chosen, then supposedly all searches are cleared and all future searches not saved. Disturbingly, this button is absent from the menu! it does not exist. Which presupposes that when iPad help was developed, it was assumed that such a button would be included in the menu feature when, it turns out, it was not.

Barney2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem. Formerly you could press on the x on the right side of a google search item and it would delete - now there is only a left pointing arrow.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Strange! I just made sure Safari was closed, then cleared history and cookies and went back to Safari's Google search engine...all my previous searches are gone, which is what I would expect. I cannot understand why this is not the case with everyone.

jetmech1943

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all I have the same problem. I have done exactly as described, but the previous searches continue to be there. My issue is that my old emails are appearing in the searches below the apps and yet the mail has all been deleted. I've tried everything but the old mail remains. Maybe a reset of the whole pad could fix but just guessing. Any help would de appreciated.

Most reactions

Latest posts