What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gmail and iPad2

linkot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello ...

My gmail account is setup on my iPad2 as an 'Exchange' account ... I am able to send/receive from my iPad2. The problem is, I will place/save messages in the various Mailboxes ... Notes, Personal, Receipts, etc. but they disappear and I don't delete them! When I log in to gmail directly Online, I see my saved messages in the Mailboxes/folders!

TIA,
LinK

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They should be removed from the inbox and placed into the various folders. So they disappear from the folders too on the iPad?

OP
L

linkot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes! I removed the messages from the inbox and placed them in the various folders. The folders are empty! However, when I log in to gmail Online, the folders have the saved messages!

OP
L

linkot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know ... but what I don't know is what I should do about it?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars; and open your GMail account. Increase the setting for Mail Days to Sync and see if that helps.

OP
L

linkot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks! Sync was set for 3 days, I changed it to 2 weeks and the messages returned! Would you be so kind to explain why this happened ... will it happen again? Is it okay to leave messages on the server as well ... or am I actually seeing what is on gmail's server on my iPad? Your help is very much appreciated.
LinK

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All your emails are stored on Google's servers. In order to keep from choking the iPad with huge amounts of data you can limit how much email is normally synced to the iPad. The setting you changed is one of those. The other is the Show setting further down the page in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. The one you set tells it how far back in time to go. The second tells it how many posts to load within that time frame.

As far as I know, the GMail Exchange setup is the only one that offers a time limit.

In either case if you need to see more emails you should be able to scroll all the way to the bottom of the email list. If there are more emails in the folder than are being displayed there will be a Load More Messages option.

Most reactions

Latest posts