What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting a Mini ready from Santa...

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my son's iPad mini in the mail thea other day. He's 4 years old and really likes playing with iDevices.
Every night after he falls asleep I get out the mini to prepare it for Christams when he will receive it.
I'm trying to make all the nessasary changes to it so when he opens it on Christmas morning it will be ready to go.

So far I have:
Put his favorite apps on it and a few new ones
Loaded some movies on it
Loaded some TV shows on it
Created his own email address so he can text and FaceTime from it in his own name
Put a few contacts in it

So what else would you do? Am I forgetting anything major? Or even minor that would make the experience better?
Here's a screen shot of the apps I've downloaded so far.

201bfa54846da1b44e8673e41a9c7da0.jpg

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nice job.

The only thing I can think of are perhaps some educational apps and educational ibooks. I remember seeing what I thought was a really neat atlas, designed for kids, but I still found it quite interesting...so much so I almost sprung for it myself. I can't recall the name.

Nice gift, though. Well done.

Last edited:
OP
X

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you.
Educational apps is a great idea. He likes to play around on NotesPlus on my ipad. He can practice his letters on it.
Most the educational apps I have are for toddlers. Color apps and point to the animal apps. I'll start a search for some higher level ones. Great idea.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My son is 4 and has a touch. He likes the PBS kids video player and their game website, along with ABC player because he likes to watch Wipeout. He also likes YouTube(just put the browser link on your homescreen) for watching Waterslide videos and Monster Trucks.
I dunno if your son has ever played "Jelly Car" but it is one of my son's faves(along with the typical angry birds and where's my water)
I'm excited for you! The best gift are the ones you know are just perfect! My kids would love a mini!

OP
X

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check out Jelly Car. My son is more into the Temple Run types of games than the Angry Bird types. But he does like Star Wars so I figured he'd like the new Angry Birds.
He's just recently really gotten good at games like Temple Run and Subway Surfer. It's amazing to watch him play.

I did put the youtube app on there for him. He loves to watch youtube videos and beam them to his AppleTV. But I have to watch over him pretty closely because of all the crap on youtube.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Far cry when I was 4. The most high tech thing at that time was speak and spell :D

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iJamesH said:
Far cry when I was 4. The most high tech thing at that time was speak and spell :D

Ha! For me it was electricity. Computers were on their way though. BASIC was written the year I was 4.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

itzmeigh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about setting up restrictions like to the App Store or to not allow "in app" purchases. I usually just limit my son's account to an iTunes gift card and don't put any credit card info but it is still nice to block the in app purchases. Sometimes they make those a little tricky so you think you are using "coins" from the game and really they mean real money.

I also got my son (7) a mini for Christmas and I also work on setting it up in secret at night! Haha!

OP
X

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about setting up restrictions like to the App Store or to not allow "in app" purchases. I usually just limit my son's account to an iTunes gift card and don't put any credit card info but it is still nice to block the in app purchases. Sometimes they make those a little tricky so you think you are using "coins" from the game and really they mean real money.

I also got my son (7) a mini for Christmas and I also work on setting it up in secret at night! Haha!

Excellent advice. Thanks.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you.
Educational apps is a great idea. He likes to play around on NotesPlus on my ipad. He can practice his letters on it.
Most the educational apps I have are for toddlers. Color apps and point to the animal apps. I'll start a search for some higher level ones. Great idea.

Hi xDRoX--this is just wonderful for your son. He's going to love it!

Have a look at what one of our Supporting vendors, LANDKA has or offer in his thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-school/95987-2012-best-educational-apps-ipad.html#post726350

Maybe you might find something there! Have fun! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts