What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Formulas?

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there a way to write formulas/equations on iworks? Or is there a separate app that does this?

For clarification of what I am referring to, in Microsoft office 2007 and up you can write equations (matrices, integrals, summations, square roots, fractions, etc.). I'm wondering if there is a way to do this on the iPad. And in not referring to a note taking app where I actually write out/draw the equations, I'm looking for something that would type them.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've certainly not come across anything. Pages, the Apple 'Word' app, is very limited in what it can do and complex formatted documents defeat it. Even superscripts and subscripts are a challenge and need a workaround, so I've never found a way of including formulas.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are some LaTex editors in the store. While I'm pretty sure Pages won't recognize LaTex, some of the apps can export the resulting formula as a picture file. While not as desirable as being able to edit the formula directly in Pages, it would at least be a way to create them on the iPad, then import and place them in Pages as pictures. It would also be neater than trying to draw the formula in a paint program.

Just search for LaTex in the App Store, and review the features. Some are free, so better than nothing, even if they don't do the whole job.

agencius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
There are some LaTex editors in the store. While I'm pretty sure Pages won't recognize LaTex, some of the apps can export the resulting formula as a picture file. While not as desirable as being able to edit the formula directly in Pages, it would at least be a way to create them on the iPad, then import and place them in Pages as pictures. It would also be neater than trying to draw the formula in a paint program.

Just search for LaTex in the App Store, and review the features. Some are free, so better than nothing, even if they don't do the whole job.

Yes, if you combine a LaTex output with Skitch to trim back the excess seems like an option.

So you would image in LaTex, crop and push back into Photo images and yank them into place for complex math representations can be done with a combination of free iPad App selections.

One goal is to do more of this with a text Unicode App. Maybe this will get easier to tie together for mathematical writing.

Right now the dividing line between Unicode text snippet iPad App tools and doing the image route depends on how fine of representation you want.

If you need complicated things, such as a ∬² is possible. So is xⁿ⁺⁴ as another example.

But say you want a ℵ underneath with a nice line?

Answer, use LaTex and I also am interested in which one of those is best on the iPad.

Eventually, you will want LaTex images to obtain a finer pictures today.

Most reactions

Latest posts