What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Force restart under ios 17

lhamilton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad documentation says to press the top side button followed by the lower side button followed by holding down the top button to force restart on an ipad pro. But with ios 17, all that does is start Siri. Even with Siri turned off, all I get is a request to start Siri. Is there no longer a way to force restart iPad pros without a home button?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It works on my iPad Pro running iPadOS17. You need to do the button presses fairly quickly. I didn't have to rush to the point of being frantic, but there is no time to pause and consider the next step. Even a second between button presses is too much.

Hold down the power button until the screen goes black, ignoring the power off slider.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad documentation says to press the top side button followed by the lower side button followed by holding down the top button to force restart on an ipad pro. But with ios 17, all that does is start Siri. Even with Siri turned off, all I get is a request to start Siri. Is there no longer a way to force restart iPad pros without a home button?
Check out the the documentation HERE - I have the iPad Pro 11" and the first option there worked fine for me, i.e. quick press and release of the top and lower buttons in sequence w/ a 'long' press on the top button until the slider appears - then to restart a long press on the top button until the Apple appears. Dave :)

OP
L

lhamilton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I've found that ignoring Siri and the slider in the process -- just keeping on pressing that top button after the side button presses does the trick. I haven't needed a forced restart (touch wood) but wanted to be sure how to do it for when it was needed.

Most reactions

Latest posts