What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flatbed scanner for iPad Pro?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are there high-quality scanners that can do photos, artwork, even slides and which can somehow connect to or communicate with a iPad Pro?

does iPad OS 13’s ability to allow external storage also enable connection to peripherals?

thank you

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Depending on your all-in-one printer model, you may be able to scan using the manufacturer’s app. I can do so on my cheap HP Deskjet 3755. It should be possible on the more expensive models. Whether there are any high end stand alone scanner options, I don't know.

To the best of my knowledge scanners are not supported from the Lightning or USB-C port.

Note: While I have scanned using the HP printer app in the past, I rarely bother. I can get acceptable (for my purposes) scans using the iPhone’s camera and a scanning app; and it’s less trouble.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’m thinking of something higher-end than an all-in-one printer / scanner. We have one of those HPs too. I can use Bluetooth to send print jobs and to scan. The quality is...meh...

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’m thinking of something higher-end than an all-in-one printer / scanner. We have one of those HPs too. I can use Bluetooth to send print jobs and to scan. The quality is...meh...

Hi Padcatt - first, checkout my response to your battery thread - the information may be of interest to you. Second, please provide more information on why you need a high quality scanner, e.g. business, home, size, flatbed and/or slide transparencies? Over the last half dozen years, I've used an excellent Canon flat-bed scanner w/ an older PC, a Canon ink-jet scanner/printer, and a Doxie (small format) scanner w/ a SD memory card - not sure how to even continue until you clarify your needs. Dave

P.S. do you own a computer (if so, what type) or not, or want to do all w/ an iPad?

Last edited:
OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I have two Macs more than equal to the task. I do want to find an iPad workflow.

also, a friend with an iPad needs to scan boxes of family photos and slides, decent quality. I’m trying to figure out a workflow so that she doesn’t *have* to get a Mac and a scanner; just the scanner.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, I have two Macs more than equal to the task. I do want to find an iPad workflow.

also, a friend with an iPad needs to scan boxes of family photos and slides, decent quality. I’m trying to figure out a workflow so that she doesn’t *have* to get a Mac and a scanner; just the scanner.

Thanks for the additional information - back in 2012, I did the same, i.e. scanned in TONS of family & trip photos and 35mm slides using the Canon scanner w/ slide transparency attachment mentioned previously, which was cabled to my old Dell PC - my suggestion would be for your friend to purchase a similar scanner (you'll have to do the research as to which one and cost) and attach to one of your Mac computers; otherwise, you will have to find a good similar type scanner w/ Wi-Fi and a proprietary iPad app, if even available? Good luck and let us know your results, likely will help others w/ similar goals. Dave

P.S. since you have Mac computers, download Coconut Battery (free) and checkout your iPad battery's health as posted in your battery thread.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think it’s the “if available” part that’s working against us. I fully expect it to be, but perhaps the software and hardware devs and mfgrs have some catch-up to do?

although... the iPad has been a serious platform for some time now, and there are no BT flatbeds? Maybe manufacturers see no market?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think it’s the “if available” part that’s working against us. I fully expect it to be, but perhaps the software and hardware devs and mfgrs have some catch-up to do?

although... the iPad has been a serious platform for some time now, and there are no BT flatbeds? Maybe manufacturers see no market?

High quality flatbed and slide scanners lost a lot of their mainstream appeal when most photography moved to phones, both for taking and viewing. At least that’s my take on a market that went from abundant to niche in a the last decade. Even standalone document scanners are few. If copier/scanner capability were not an entrenched feature office printers, I doubt you would could find many home/personal models of those on the market.

You’ll notice that most of the printers that specialized in printing photos are gone. Only the nostalgia and novelty focused ones are heavily marketed.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, get that feeling after googling scanners. The all-in-ones seem to subscribe to a “better than nothing” or “good enough” ethos because the results are much worse than I remember getting from consumer scanners years ago, example: CanoScan LiDE models.

My friend and I have print design backgrounds, but are a little out of touch with some of those workflows where the Scitex operator was some dude with a pony tail who didn’t talk to anyone...just him, his scanner in a small dark room which nobody was meant to enter. But in the day, that was the state of the art for scanning, whether photo or original art, and the Scitex was not something you’d pick up at best buy.

It’s crystal clear how most people - who’ve abandoned their “computers” in favor of phones, want it all to happen on their phone - which gives decent enough results but not in the realm of professional-quality.

I greatly appreciate your bringing up that reality into the conversation. I need to have a friendly chat with her; she is poised to spend delirious volumes of energy and time on this scanning project, especially with her father’s death barely 2 months ago..emotionally, it probably feels like a tribute to him to do this scanning project.

Her $2K-$3K budget for a Mac + Scanner wouldn’t even get her in the neighborhood of the scanner she wants, and that still won’t make the job easy.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting, B&H photo has several models - affordable ones - which could do the job nicely, but I still see no path to involve an iPad as the controlling computer.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad is just not the right tool for the job. Not yet. Not only is there a lack of scanner control, but you’ll likely find better software on the Mac. Something that allows quicker workflows. In my experience, a super high dpi scanner is a waste for print photos. You just get a better picture of the grain and matte (if present). What you want is good color and contrast. That can be compensated for with decent software.

It’s almost a waste of time to scan old Polaroids. They didn’t tell us those memories would fade and blur almost as badly as the ones in our heads.

It’s a different story for slides and negatives, of course. It takes a hight dpi, or some kind of projector type scanning to get good resolution on those. I’m not familiar with those scanners, so I’m not certain how they work.

As far as professional cameras go, it depends. Keep in mind that several Times magazine covers and articles in National Geographic have been shot on iPhones, and not the most recent models. You are more limited in scene and exposure control, but the quality is there if you know what you are doing. At least for that size media. Poster size art is probably limited to small to medium sized prints.

As always, it’s the person holding the camera that makes the biggest difference. Especially in art, where the limitations of the medium often defines and informs the style.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting, B&H photo has several models - affordable ones - which could do the job nicely, but I still see no path to involve an iPad as the controlling computer.

Just took a look at the B&H Offerings - dozens of items at varying prices - their 'top seller' is the Epson V600 shown below - resolution is certainly acceptable and slides can be scanned; the described software offers the usual features, but not sure how good the programs may be having worked w/ a lot of proprietary printer/scanner software over the decades. Need to check on Apple macOS compatibility - a lot of negative comments reading some of the Amazon reviews. Also, I've done a LOT of googling over the last few days searching for 'wireless' scanners and so far have come up empty - wife and I use an older Canon MF Pixma printer/scanner and a Brother laser B&W printer - both can function wirelessly but have never tested the Canon scanning feature.

Just another comment if your friend does start the project once set up - if already done then ignore, but when I did my scanning job back in 2012, my first chore was to decide which photos and slides to scan - some were duplicates, poorly exposed, deteriorated (improved w/ appropriate software), or just not of much interest, especially numerous slides from our early trips - ended up discarding a good 2/3 of the collection making my scanning job easier and much quicker. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 12.01.02 PM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts