What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First post, big music app question!

GGrizzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all, just got my ipad a week ago and am loving it. The whole reason I bought it is so that I can keep all my music charts in it and not have to lug my huge binder from gig to gig. I attached a picture of what I'm wanting an app to replicate. I will scan and import all of my current charts but I'd like to start making my charts on the ipad. As you can tell by the picture, they aren't normal music notation charts, just my own freehand way I've done it. So I guess I'm more looking for a note taking app than a notation app maybe? This is what I'd like: On the left side of the page (again, look at attached picture), I have the song structure broken down (verse, chorus, bridge, etc...) and next to that I have the number of bars in that section (8x, 4x, etc...). I'd love to have a bank of saved words and letters that I can just drag onto the screen while charting out the song so I can have the right font and size instead of writing everything out.

Basically, I want to replicate what is in the attached picture on the ipad.

Really appreciate any assistance! Thanks!

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 421

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are several note taking apps that will allow you to write freehand - or with a stylus - or type and to sketch too. Most of them allow some aspects of what you are trying to do but not everything. I use Notes Plus, which is widely used by many Members. The Developer has a great video on his website showing the features of the app, so why not visit the App Store for more details and read some of the reviews there and on this Forum?

Tim

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How about using instrument specific notation?

Like guitar tabs, or even piano tabs, piano matrix...

I guess it depends on your instrument.

In the olden days when they did not have an iPad they used sheet music in orchestra so that everyone could be performing on the same page so to speak. With today's advancement in technology, there is no excuse to not have instrument specific notation.

Last edited:

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can see how your technique would be better for gigging muscians who have to protect their creative property.
That is interesting though. An app that is flexible enough to allow custom notation taking.
Kind of notepad and paint with HTML like drop down menus, which can be populated with custom labels.
I was told object orient programming let's you do that way back. That is what everyone uses for apps, but it's still more work.
My guess is there may be an editor that exist that can be customized to do a bunch of stuff.
But sorry, I don't know of one that combines text and graphics in one format.

Last edited:

DNunley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you ever considered looking for someone to develop an app like this for you?

douggiedam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for more apps to use for taking notes like the ones you have, check out omnigraffle or notability. if you work with pdfs a lot, adobe came out with a new acrobat reader that is pretty cool.

GearGuy22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yamaha has an assistive learning keyboard app, doesn't sound to be what you're looking for though.
It turns the sheets automatically as you play, and you can adjust BPM

brooming

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it would be nice to have an app doing all the stuff for you - scanning, transposing etc. I'd wish there were a simple app allowing to allocate chords (harmony) to a musicsheet.

Most reactions