What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Find my ipad question

sheils

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If keeping iPad in the house would you need to be constantly signed in to the find my iPhone/iPad app? Or can it still work and when needed just sign in?

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sheils said:
If keeping iPad in the house would you need to be constantly signed in to the find my iPhone/iPad app? Or can it still work and when needed just sign in?

The device only need to be powered on to be tracked.

The client only need be active when actively tracking a lost device.

OP
sheils

sheils

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the info.
So I'm guessing that I should be kept signed in with the phone since that's out and about more?

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sheils said:
Thank you for the info.
So I'm guessing that I should be kept signed in with the phone since that's out and about more?

No need unless you have a desire to actively track it .

I presume it to be in your possession so you need not do anything. As long as the phone is on....or in standby mode....it can be tracked if lost.

To turn it off requires you long press the power button then use the slider to power the device down.

OP
sheils

sheils

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ditto thank you midranger. That was answering my next question about it working when phone is off. Let's hope this never happens. And hope it never just runs out of power and shut off. Almost lost my phone in GA. Left in a rent car. Noticed it was missing before taking shuttle to airport.TG my husband acted fast. He's a doll ;) never had find iPhone hooked up. Never understood how it worked. Needless to say this is why I have it on now. Rosy( I call my phone) and my ipad

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the above applies to a 3G iPad. A wifi-only iPad will need to be connected to an active hotspot or router for the "Find My iPad" function to work.

OP
sheils

sheils

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ooh forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me Hkey. Hopefully I'll never need to use it.

Most reactions

Latest posts