What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Face ID VS home button?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
does the presence of face ID mean that users are *required* to access their ios device using face ID, or that face ID is merely an option?

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
any thoughts about the security risk of having a device with a high-resolution camera having, and possibly sending out to who knows where, one’s face and fingerprints?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
any thoughts about the security risk of having a device with a high-resolution camera having, and possibly sending out to who knows where, one’s face and fingerprints?
Face ID and Touch ID data are stored in the Secure Enclave chip on your device and are never stored in iCloud or included in any backups. Face ID diagnostic data can be sent to Apple only with your express permission. About Face ID advanced technology
About Touch ID advanced security technology

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I love the convenience of Touch ID. But I would disable face recognition on general principle, and would not buy a device that relied on it. IMHO it's a step backward.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love the convenience of Touch ID. But I would disable face recognition on general principle, and would not buy a device that relied on it. IMHO it's a step backward.
That means that on an iPhone X or any future device with Face ID, you would only be able to use a password as it does not support Touch ID.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I admit I’m not particularly interested in Face ID. I view it as more of a trade off than an upgrade. But I won’t reject the next iPad Pro because of it. It will just be a matter of adjusting habits, nothing more. With the rapid changes in the tablet market (not just iPads) it’s best to keep one’s expectations flexible.

On the other hand, I am interested in the new features and apps that are enabled by the face detection sensors and camera. Those should be enough to make up for having to switch a few habits.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to a device having face recognition, as long as it can be disabled...and as long as there's still a handy Touch ID sensor. Otherwise it would constitute a downgrade, not a trade off.

Why would I want my iPad to be unlockable by anyone with a good enough photo of me? Why would I want the camera to be recording who-knows-what without my express consent? I no longer trust The World's Most Profitable Companyᵀᴹ to give me straight answers about these things.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Face ID sensors can not be fooled by a photo, good or not. It’s a 3D sensor. It would take a good enough sculpture. An animated sculpture, because Face ID also looks for the small movements the signify a living face. The camera records nothing. It does a match in the secure enclave, which even other apps can not acces. All they can access is the result (yes/no). Just like Touch ID.

Let me be blunt. If you no longer trust Apple because of Face ID, then you shouldn’t trust them for Touch ID, your photos, your email, or anything else you put on your phone. As for them being the worlds most profitable companty, let me expand on that. They are the worlds most profitable company who’s buisness model does not depend on collecting your data. They are the company that defied the FBI over keeping their devices secure.

I’m not saying that Apple is 100% trustworthy, but if they are not at least somewhat trustworthy, then there is not a single trustworthy company out there. No other company has put as much of their creibility on the line over privacy, and no other large tech company has less insentive to violate your privacy.

Whether a Face ID iPad would also have a Touch ID sensor? I have no idea. I suspect not, but since there is considerably more room on an iPad vs an iPhone, Apple mich choose to add both.

Note: The fool it with a photo thing is something that happend with one of Samsung’s phones. Even they never said is was secure, and warned it shoud only be considered a connivence feature.

Note 2: My objections to Face ID has nothing to do with it’s security. It just the change of mechanics. I don’t want to have to pick up my phone to unlock it.

Most reactions

Latest posts