What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exchange Email - Sync??

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So my email is working nicely but it doesn't sync. It just brings all emails to the iPad regardless of what has gone on with those emails throughout the day back on my home computer through Outlook. That's kind of frustrating. Am I missing something?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Outlook and the iPad just download the mail. They don't remove them from the server. Even if you open it on iPad, it will download to outlook.

OP
NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Doesn't it say 'sync' somewhere though on the iTunes website?? I thought checking it would get it to sync rather than just pull the info.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NYHorsewoman said:
Doesn't it say 'sync' somewhere though on the iTunes website?? I thought checking it would get it to sync rather than just pull the info.

Sync with iTunes. Backup all your data to iTunes.

OP
NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am aware of that, but there is also a setting that addresses syncing email.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am aware of that, but there is also a setting that addresses syncing email.

If you are looking at what I think you are, then read the text at the bottom of the box. It should tell you that this setting only syncs you email account settings, not the actual email messages. I don't recommend turning this on. It's rarely worth the potential confusion.

To get the messages you still have to set the account up on the iPad under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Add Account.

If that account is a POP account, then the behavior you've described is typical. Depending on how a POP account is set up the iPad may not be able to actually delete emails on the server. You'd have to check your account set up on the server. Be ware though that if the iPad does start deleting these emails, it will do so on download (most likely), which means your computer may never see them, even if you don't manually delete them.

POP accounts don't work well with multiple devices accessing them.

If you email provider offers IMAP or Exchange as an alternate way to access your email, you'd be better off setting up that way, both on the iPad and computer.

OP
NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gotcha. I guess it is better to see all the emails rather than risk deleting something and not being able to retrieve it later. It would be nice to have a setting that actually allows you to sync to your computers emails which are already there (thus giving you the folders, etc) rather than syncing with the server. I suppose I could forgo the emails on here completely and use Gotomypc instead which I already use and love.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just like with a remote computer

you are only viewing not downloading those emails to your remote device. They remain on the server unless you erase them.

Most reactions

Latest posts