What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Excel reader that supports my formula

Bluescan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everybody!

My first post in this forum, so not even sure if this is the right category.
Plase forgive me. :)

I just bought an Ipad to use for my flight school training. It's great for reading books and maps, aswell as a reference to everything.

I wanted to make a application to calculate some very basic stuff for me. It's mostly very basic weight and balance. Anyway, since I don't know programming very well, I decided to create a Excel spreadsheet insted. On my Windows desktop it's working perfect, but unfortunatly it seems like my Excel reader "Documents to go" do not support one of my formulas. I tried to google it, couldn't find anything helpful, but ended up on this forum a few times. :)

I had to use a forumla that could respond with multiple values.

My formula looks like this:
Code:
=INDEX($B$1:$C$47590,SMALL(IF($B$1:$B$47590=$I$3,ROW($B$1:$B$47590)),ROW(1:1)),2)

It looks into a table with runways and airports. Every airport code (B) have multiple runways (C). If I ask for "KELZ" it should return 10 and 28.

Thought, it looks like "SMALL" is not supported. Do anybody know a way around this problem?

:rolleyes:

Best regards,
Bluescan

Attachments

• excelsnitt.GIF
    excelsnitt.GIF
    5.8 KB · Views: 295

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Two options come to my mind:

1) get Numbers and just build the forumla in that..
2) get Onlive Desktop and run your Excel spreadsheet in that. Can't be 100% sure it will work, but that excel is supposed to BE excel. You need good WiFI to use it.

You might be able to use CloudOn, but I have forgotten exactly what that app does (I have it installed, but it has been a while since I used it).

OP
B

Bluescan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you AQ_OC.

It has to be offline :)

Are you sure this will work with Numbers? I were told that Documets to Go supported most formulas compared to other Ipad spreadsheets.

shornbeck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bluescan said:
Thank you AQ_OC.

It has to be offline

Are you sure this will work with Numbers? I were told that Documets to Go supported most formulas compared to other Ipad spreadsheets.

It appears to me that Polaris Office supports the index, row, and small function. I didn't look closely at your use of these functions, but you might look at that app. It's on sale for $9.99 until May 15.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you AQ_OC.

It has to be offline :)

No, I'm not sure at all. I should have said that. My guess is that you can modify whatever spreadsheet app you use to do the same thing. I think the other poster has a solution, but both seem to involve spending money.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Numbers does have the SMALL function. It returns the nth smallest value within a range (if that sounds right). All the other functions in your formula are also present, and at first glance look to be compatible.

Since I'm not sure I understand the formula and the desired results (haven't studied it hard enough yet) I can not guarantee it will work.

On your third post you should be able to include links. If you there is no private or sensitive data in the Excel spreadsheet (and you don't mind), go ahead and post a shared link (from DropBox or the like) and I will be happy to import it into Numbers and see if it works.

Include any explanations on how to use the spreadsheet if you think they are needed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On further examination I don't believe Numbers can do this. The use of ranges in the IF function looks unlikely to work, and I don't know of any Numbers function that will return more than one value. You'd probably have to use some kind of string creation function to manage it.

But I'm still willing to give it a try if you like.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Bluescan said:
http://minus.com/m3XHHNOW4/

On the Runway sheet, J3, 4, 5, 6, shout be returning 2, 20, 13, 31.

The document has quite a lot of data in it. About 2mb.

Best regards,
Bluescan

Darn. Apparently the document is too big for Numbers. The import errors out with a too many cells warning.

Sorry. Maybe someone else can give it a shot with their favorite spreadsheet app.

Most reactions

Latest posts