What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Epic Games Developer Hails iPad 2’s Great Graphical Leap Forward

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
infinity-bade.JPG

AppleInsider has a news story today about a recent interview given by Epic Games developer Tim Sweeney to Gizmodo. Sweeney was one of the main developers of Epic’s Unreal Engine, which powered such incredible console games as BioShock, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Unreal, of course, and iOS game Infinity Blade, so he knows what he’s talking about when it comes to graphics, processing power and all that kind of good stuff. In the interview, Sweeney says that the iPad 2 has made a massive leap forward in performance from the first iPad. He says that whereas consoles usually make a 10-20x leap in performance every 7-8 years, the iPad 2 has made a 9x improvement in graphics performance in just one year. To put that in some sort of context, Sweeney explains that the original iPad’s A4 CPU is basically comparable to a single Xbox 360 core, which is pretty impressive in itself, but the new A5 chip inside the iPad 2 has “far, far more potential.†He goes on to illustrate just how much power he’s talking about by saying that so powerful is the iPad 2’s shader performance, it would be able to use the same high-detail shaders used by Epic in Xbox 360 game Gears of War. He also says that the iPad 2’s 512MB of RAM is in no way a drawback, as it’s the same as the Xbox 360.

Source: AppleInsider | Epic game developer calls iPad 2 graphics leap "astonishing," doubts Android can compete

dlo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow even I didn't know that but that's extremely impressive.

Can't wait to see what else is store for the iPad!!

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have waited months for some games like infinity blade. I haven't seen any.
Does anyone know of any? Also infinity blade seems like it is a loop is that what is supposed to happen?

64GB 3G White iPad

Most reactions

Latest posts