What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email help

Natasha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to get my emails on my ipad as well as at home so i wont be confined to only having certain emails in certain places, not sure if this is multiple adresses or forwarding or what? Help please :(

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Whose your email provider? It should be fairly simple to set it up on the iPad, if you can setup ad imap or exchange it becomes very easy to keep everything in sync.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As DefBref says, you shouldn't have any trouble doing what you want to do...but knowing a little more about your mail accounts would help (POP3 Vs IMAP, etc.). If all of that is foreign to you, no worries, take a look at these guides...

How to Setup Email Accounts on the iPad

Apple - Support - iPad - Mail Assistant

iOS: Setting up an email account

Using the search feature on the forum is also a very good way to find answers to your questions.

If after that you can't get it sorted out, don't be shy, just post your question(s) and you'll get the help you need.

OP
N

Natasha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will i be able to recieve emails on both laptop and ipad then? Without having to forward or set up rules... I think imap is what hubby mentioned, so if i set up email account following the instructions on the thread above when i get to the bit where it says pop3 or imap which do i select because imap is what i need but pop3 is what my address contains....
Thanks for advise up to now.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
POP3 and IMAP are two different types of email management accounts or "protocols". If your email is POP3, then you would have to change the type of protocol you're using to IMAP through your Internet Service Provider (ISP). These are the basic differences:

POP3 - "Post Office Protocol". With a POP3 e-mail account, your e-mail messages are downloaded to your computer and then eventually deleted from the mail server depending on how the account is set up.

IMAP - "Internet Message Access Protocol". With IMAP, you have access to mail folders on the mail server, and you can store and process mail without downloading it to the computer that you are working on.

That said, you can receive and send email from both types of accounts on multiple computers. Setting up POP3 to do that is a little more involved and requires a little more housekeeping because the same emails will be downloaded to all of the computers that the POP3 account is set up on even if it's deleted from one. Because of that most folks that want to be able to use multiple computers to access their email employ an IMAP email account so that their mail is always synchronized between computers.

Ultimately how you want to set things up is your choice, however, if you want to switch from POP3 to IMAP you'll probably need to deal with your ISP. It's not all that hard, but if you haven't done something like that it's best to let the experts take care of it.

Here's another article that might help:

How to set up POP3 and IMAP Email Accounts on the iPad | MyAppWorld.com

Last edited:

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Most email providers will provide the necessary settings for setup as pop or imap on a help page on their website.

Have a look and you'll probably find it, alternatively tell us your provider and we can look for you. We don't need your full email address just the bit after the @ usually.

OP
N

Natasha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you that seems very helpful, and i will attempt the pop3 high maintenance one, im alright at house keeping so will attempt it, will be back when i inevitably get it wrong first time, thanks

OP
N

Natasha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Natasha said:
Thank you that seems very helpful, and i will attempt the pop3 high maintenance one, im alright at house keeping so will attempt it, will be back when i inevitably get it wrong first time, thanks

Post office is provider

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds good Natasha. If it doesn't work out switching to IMAP is fairly easy the caveat is that you'd generally have to delete your POP3 account which would also delete all of your email that you had not saved to another folder in your email client (Apple Mail, Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.).

I'm not familiar with "Post Office" so not sure what their service provides, but as DefBref said most are about the same.

In any case, let us know how things go!

Most reactions

Latest posts