What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone else think split keyboard is too small?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually like the split keys also! I don't think it's small at all. It's just needs time for me to adjust where the letters are and using my eyes to see that I have pressed the right buttons!!

stevnim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whether piccolo or tuba, it's a learning process for all keyboards, including iPad split keyboard. Hang in there fingers!

Schmid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once you get used to it i find i can use the split keyboard even more than the whole keyboard for thumb typing

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yarrenbool said:
YES!

The split keyboard was one of the new features of iOS 5 I was most looking forward to but due to its size find I don't use it as much as I was expecting to.

I also find it a lot easier to use in portrait mode than landscape, the opposite to what I was expecting.

I was actually hoping the keyboad/keys would be a bit bigger on landscape, given the extra real estate. Nope. Methinks user-adjustable sizing would be perfect.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes it is too small. In my case, I find it easier to use in landscape. Get more errors in portrait.

I do have another suggestion. It would be helpful if Apple would use the same little popup letters present on the iPhone keyboard after pressing a key. While I agree the keys are too small, making them much bigger will force the thumbs to travel too far. That's why I think popup letters could be helpful IMHO.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried a friends iPad with the new split keybopard and yeah, its a little small. I think the other thing is that I seem to be able to type pretty fluently using just my right hand while holding the iPad with my left hand. I dont expect to be doing a heckuva lot of typing anyways so this wasnt a big concern for me. If I have to type up a large docoment or do a fancy spreadsheet - I'll use my big, clunky laptop for that :)

Blake25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its rediculous how small it is. I dont want to feel like im typing on a phone

Veego

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, too small. Keep the height of a standard keyboard and reduce width slightly. Completely useless. I agree... Should be user defined. Need more options. Many more options. Where was sj on this one? Guess we'll nvr know.

dougrogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The solution to the too small split keyboard is to integrate the pop up letter tabs like on the iPhone keyboard. I don't understand why they left this out. As it is it's is utterly useless for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts