What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

diy ir transmitter for ipad?

piglet0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, there are several ir transmitters that plug into the headphone jack of the ipad. There are also a bunch of programs on the app store. I want to use my ipad as a universal remote, but don't want to pay $50 or so, for a little ir transmitter. It would seem like the components needed to make it are fairly cheap and simple. I was wondering if anyone has made a ir transmitter for the ipad themselves and used it as a universal remote with an app from the app store? Is it possible? Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think the real challenge would be the design and construction of the IR hardware, as you point out. The components are fairly cheap and the design itself is hardly a challenge. The real issue would be writing the app that would be needed to control the IR device.

If you feel like learning how to develop your own apps you can do so for free. Go to iTunes on your iPad, click on 'iTunesU' at the bottom right hand side, select 'Universities and Colleges', then scroll to Stanford. Scroll right through the courses and you'll find a two-part, 25 lectures per part, course on programming iPad apps. It's free and, by the end of the course, you'll be able to program some simple apps yourself. It's a great resource from one of the best Universities in the world.

As you'll be able to see, app development is a fairly involved process requiring a significant background in programming as well as access to a Mac computer, the iPad SDK and registration with the Apple Developer's program.

Tim

OP
P

piglet0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a few ir transmitters out there to buy, but does each require a specific app? How can that be? Couldn't I just make an ir transmitter, and use one of the many apps on the market?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But how do you know what protocol the app is using to transfer the data from the iPad to the IR controller? If I'm writing the app myself, then I can choose the protocol myself but if I'm trying to use an already existing app I would need to know how they decided to do this. Are they transmitting the bits 'on the fly'? Are they buffering the data inside the IR transmitter and then issuing a 'send' command? Least significant or most significant bit transmission from the iPad to the IR controller? As I said, if you know how the app is written, then it's not a problem but without knowing these - as well as many other - details, then I'd not know where to start.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts