What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY digitizer replacement

jcgss77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I have been searching through the forums for some advice on this, and I would appreciate any advice and direction.

I have an IPad2 which my son with autism used. We have owned it for over 3 years, and he just recently dropped it causing the glass to crack, and the 30-pin charging connector to break. I am looking to repair it on the cheap, but with hopefully quality parts. I am able to complete the repair myself, as I do diy guitar effects pedals and amps, so getting my hands dirty is my goal. The iPad is a wifi only 16gig.

I did bring it in to my local Apple store, but they were of no help, as they wanted me to give it to them and then pay $250 for a refurbished iPad2, but I can buy one for $299 new. This is no deal to me.

Now, to the point. I have found many replacement parts, I will be purchasing a new tool set designed for replacing a digitizer, a new charging connector, new adhesive, and new spacer. My problem has been finding a digitizer, as there are tons out there, and I am sure there are a lot of knockoffs which are of the lowest quality. I have been directed to an eBay seller who sells them for just under $30, but I am looking to spend a little less as I don't know if the iPad will even work properly when I get it put back together. It cycles on and off repeatedly, whether it is plugged in or not. I reset it to factory specs, to no avail.

So, can anyone direct me to a less expensive digitizer which is quality?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
G'day jcgss77 and a warm welcome to the forum. I've transferred your thread to the iPad DIY forum which has a good deal of articles and info for just such brave and talented souls:D as your good self.
We cannot of course recommend any commercial source of any spare parts you may want to buy but that forum, as well as a bit of googling may put you on the right track. Best of luck!
Andrew

Most reactions

Latest posts