What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dictation Tips and Tricks

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're welcome.

If you want I can PM (the forum's Private Message feature) you another link where the content might be a bit easier to copy/paste.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It occured to me that I do just have that text sitting around in a file; so I converted it to a PDF and a Word document. I can post the PDF here, and will. You'll have to follow the share link to my Box site to download the Word version if you want it. The forum does not support .docx uploads.

Word version on Box.com

Edit: :eek: Grumpy addendum. For some reason the examples on the second page did not get copied over when I pasted the text into Pages. As a result the second page is kind of useless. Also, the preview generated at Box looks horrible. However it looks fine once you download it to the computer.

When I'm done being grumpy about this maybe I'll go back and see if I can fix it. :(

ReEdit: Ok, there were even more things wrong with the documents than I thought. I think I've got it all fixed now. I really hope so, anyway. All links and uploads updated.

Attachments

• Dictation Tricks.pdf
    50.7 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It occured to me that I do just have that text sitting around in a file; so I converted it to a PDF and a Word document. I can post the PDF here, and will. You'll have to follow the share link to my Box site to download the Word version if you want it. The forum does not support .docx uploads.

Word version on Box.com

Edit: :eek: Grumpy addendum. For some reason the examples on the second page did not get copied over when I pasted the text into Pages. As a result the second page is kind of useless. Also, the preview generated at Box looks horrible. However it looks fine once you download it to the computer.

When I'm done being grumpy about this maybe I'll go back and see if I can fix it. :(
Snow white would be proud of you, although you are far from being a dwarf on this forum Mike:D
A very merry Christmas to you mate, and the best next year ever!
Andrew

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Snow white would be proud of you, although you are far from being a dwarf on this forum Mike:D
A very merry Christmas to you mate, and the best next year ever!
Andrew

Yes, well I took the time to watch a Castle episode, where they go to the ranch resort in Arizona. Put me in a good enough mood to try and fix the problems, of which I'd only seen a couple. Hopefully it's fixed now. :)

Merry Christmas, and a great New Year to you as well.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. It was some time ago.

While Dictation’s accuracy has improved a lot, the commands and usage have remained mostly the same. With the iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard I don’t use it as much as I used too, but I still dictate an occastional message or note on the iPhone and/or Apple Watch.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow this sounds cool. But i bet it’s a pain for people who don’t talk all that well.
The dictation feature can learn to recognize your accent and pronunciation over time, leading to more accurate results.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wow this sounds cool. But i bet it’s a pain for people who don’t talk all that well.

It works best if you spend a moment to think about what you are going to say (and how), and keep each bit of dictation short; no more than a sentence or two at a time. Like most things, the more you use it the better you get.

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tend to do something similar with Google Translator, to write a letter in German. I make the sentences short in English, then copy and paste to Page.
It makes it easier to control the letter.
It might not be perfect in German but better than l could do for sure.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like a good method. Besides having less to edit if the voice recognition should mess up, short sentences are less likely to be mis-translated.

I’ve never used it in practice, but I keep the iTranslate app on my phone. In my experience, short, present tense, active voice sentences work best. It doesn’t allow for a lot of nuance, but you can get your idea accross

LilyVictoria

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dictation symbols

Words contained in () are not spoken. If all you see are words in the brackets, then I couldn't figure out a command.

• . period (or) full stop
  • , comma
  • : colon
  • ; semicolon
  • ! exclamation mark (or) exclamation point
  • ? question mark
  • - hyphen
  • ' apostrophe
  • 's apostrophe ess
  • ` back quote (or) backtick
  • ^ caret
  • ' open single (quotation mark)
  • ' close single (only seems works after "open single")
  • " open quote
  • " close quote
  • « open euro quotes
  • » close euro quotes
  • ( open parenthesis
  • ) close parenthesis
  • [ open bracket
  • ] close bracket
  • { open curly bracket (or) open brace
  • } close curly bracket (or close brace
  • … ellipsis
  • _ underscore
  • – dash
  • – double dash
  • — em dash
  • – en dash
  • | vertical bar
  • § section sign
  • & ampersand
  • ~ Tilda
  • + plus sign
  • - minus sign
  • x multiplication sign
  • ÷ division sign
  • > greater than sign (or) close angle bracket (or) right angle bracket
  • < less than sign (or) open angle bracket (or) left angle bracket
  • % percent sign
  • ‰ per mill sign
  • ° degree sign
  • \ back slash
  • / forward slash
  • # hash tag (or) pound sign (or) sharp sign
  • * asterisk (or) star
  • $ dollar sign
  • ¢ cent sign
  • £ (British pound)
  • Â¥ yen sign
  • € euro sign
  • ₩ (won)
  • @ at sign
  • © copyright sign
  • ™ trademark sign
  • ® registered sign
Really thank you for these Dectation symbols. It helped me to find the right one for my device.

Most reactions

Latest posts